Does use of the locations.ycfg approach still supported to display images and for setting the size of the images to DEFAULT, IMAGE_SMALL and IMAGE_BIG in 9.1 and 9.2 as it was used to in 8.5?
If this approach has changed then how product shows images in 9.1, 9.2 and what are merits of this new approach?
No, this feature is not supported in 9.1 and 9.2 anymore.
New Approach is mentioned below:
1. Create content location in Application Manager. In content location mention URL of the image server with complete path where images are stored. Application Manager => Catalog Management => Catalog configuration => Asset => Content Location.
2. Login to SBC, search for item and open Item details screen.
3. On Item Details screen click on Merchandising and Sales related task.
4. Select Item Image Server (configured in step1) and mention Item image file name.
5. Click save.
After above steps images for item will be shown in the product UIs.
Merits of this approach:
1. Item images can be shown across applications like sbc/sfs besides COM.
2. If image server is down, you can use the getItemDetails API's UE and pass the new URL where the item image can be found for details please follow the documentation.