'The Unicode encoding of this file is not supported by the Text Wizard. You can use the DATA LIST command to read UTF-16 text data files.' during data import.
When attempting to import data, the message 'The Unicode encoding of this file is not supported by the Text Wizard. You can use the DATA LIST command to read UTF-16 text data files.' presents and the data cannot be imported.
Data contains UTF-16 Unicode character encoding.
Any environment that supports both IBM SPSS products and UTF-16 Unicode character encoding.
Diagnosing the problem
Translation of the data to UTF-8 Unicode character encoding eliminates the behavior.
Resolving the problem
There are a number of approaches to resolving this behavior. All of the approaches have the same thing in common: The file is saved with an 'ANSI' or 'UTF-8' character encoding. In general, the process is as follows:
(1) Open the file in the native application.
(2) Save the file as a comma-delimited text file such as a CSV *(*.csv) file.
(3) Open the text file using a text editor that supports changing character encoding (such as Windows NotePad).
(4) Save (using 'Save as') the text file using either 'ANSI' or 'UTF-8' character encoding.
(5) The resulting text file can now be opened without error.
Note: It may be necessary to try the 'Save as' operation for both 'ANSI' or 'UTF-8' before finding a character encoding that does not produce the behavior.
Translate this page: