When attempting to import data, the message 'The Unicode encoding of this file is not supported by the Text Wizard. You can use the DATA LIST command to read UTF-16 text data files.' presents and the data cannot be imported.
Data contains UTF-16 Unicode character encoding.
Any environment that supports both IBM SPSS products and UTF-16 Unicode character encoding.
Diagnosing the problem
Translation of the data to UTF-8 Unicode character encoding eliminates the behavior.
Resolving the problem
There are a number of approaches to resolving this behavior. All of the approaches have the same thing in common: The file is saved with an 'ANSI' or 'UTF-8' character encoding. In general, the process is as follows:
(1) Open the file in the native application.
(2) Save the file as a comma-delimited text file such as a CSV *(*.csv) file.
(3) Open the text file using a text editor that supports changing character encoding (such as Windows NotePad).
(4) Save (using 'Save as') the text file using either 'ANSI' or 'UTF-8' character encoding.
(5) The resulting text file can now be opened without error.
Note: It may be necessary to try the 'Save as' operation for both 'ANSI' or 'UTF-8' before finding a character encoding that does not produce the behavior.