How do you update the Proventia Network IPS firmware to a version that is not the newest version?
By default, when upgrading the Proventia Network IPS firmware version, you will only see the option to apply the latest firmware version. This is by design. However, there may be certain circumstances that require you upgrade to a prior version than the current. Use the information in this article to accomplish this.
For example: when checking for updates in the GX LMI, it only shows me that version 4.6 firmware is available to install and I want update to version 4.5.
Things to consider prior to updating the Proventia Network IPS firmware:
- It is recommended that the given release notes for the particular firmware version be read prior to installing any firmware updates.
- Network traffic will not be inspected during the time of the firmware installation. Schedule a maintenance window as deemed appropriate.
- The appliance will reboot after the firmware installation is complete. Network traffic flow may be briefly interrupted.
- Firmware updates are not cumulative. In other words, if a Network IPS is at firmware version 4.3 and being updated to version 4.6, firmware version 4.4, 4.5 must be installed before proceeding to 4.6.
There are four different options available to update the Network IPS firmware to a specific version:
Option #1: Using the CLI (Command Line Interface)
- Using an SSH capable program (like PuTTY), login to the GX with "root" credentials.
- Enter "menu" mode of lumCtrl using the following command:
Caution: This next step will begin the firmware installation process.
- Specify a maximum version of firmware to be installed using the updinstver fw command followed by the desired version number. For example, when updating to a maximum version of 4.6 the full command will be:
updinstver fw 4.6
The next few lines should read similar to this:
lum cmd:updinstver fw 4.6
Install updates to version
Version: Entered: '4.6'
Result of calling install update function: 0
Broadcast message from root (Tue Apr 16 12:48:29 2013):
The system is going down for reboot NOW!
- The install process will now begin as a background process and will not be visible. When the appliance reboots, this is an indication that the firmware installation is finalizing and will be completed upon reboot.
Option #2 : Update Settings policy - Automatic Firmware Updates
- In the Update Settings policy, Update Settings tab, locate the Firmware Updates section.
- Enable the check box Ignore Any Product Updates or Features Later Than a Specified Version and input the firmware version to update to, but not exceed. Example: '4.5'.
- Select the radio button for Automatically download updates and install them.
Note: The automatic firmware updates will be installed based on the Date/Time settings in the Automatically Check for Updates section on the Update Settings tab.
- Save and deploy the new Update Settings policy to the Network IPS.
Option #3: Update Settings Policy -> Scheduled Installations
- In the Update Settings policy, Scheduled Installations tab, add a new scheduled update.
- Specify the desired time for the update to start.
- For the Version: enter desire firmware version. Example: '4.5'.
- Click OK. Save and deploy the policy to the GX.
- When the scheduled time occurs, the Scheduled Installation will begin and only the specified version will be installed.
Option #4: Pointing the Update Settings policy to a fake, non-existent Update Server.
Note: This method requires that the firmware package files already exist in /var/spool/updates/. Be sure these exist prior to attempting the upgrade. You can manually download the package files (if needed) by accessing the IBM Security Download Center. Once authenticated, click Download under My software on the left-hand side. Under My Products, click IBM Security Network IPS (GV/GX Series) and then the appropriate product under Product Lines. Here you will find all available firmware updates. Be sure to download the .pkg upgrade package (for each version you wish to update to) and copy them to the device into /var/spool/updates/. Alternatively, you may download these using the Manual Upgader.
- From the X-Press Update Server machine and using an SCP capable program (like WinSCP), connect to the GX using the root credentials.
- Change directory to /var/spool/updates/.
- Check if the necessary .pkg files are there. Example: if updating from version 4.3 to 4.6, check for prov_g_firm_4.4.pkg, prov_g_firm_4.5.pkg, and prov_g_firm_4.6.pkg files.
- Remove any unnecessary .pkg files for versions that will not be installed. For example, if updating to 4.5, remove the prov_g_firm_4.6.pkg file.
- If any .pkg files are missing, they can be copied from your X-Press Update Server machine, in the G-Series directory: \Program Files\ISS\SiteProtector\Application Server\webserver\Apache2\htdocs\XPU\Proventia\G-Series\. Alternatively, they can be downloaded using the IBM Security Download Center or the Manual Upgrader as described at the beginning of this option.
- Using the SiteProtector console, open the Update Settings policy for the GX. Go to the License and Update Servers tab.
- Enter a fake, non-existent sever and port number (example: x.x.x.x port 3999) and enable it. Disable any other listed Update servers.
- Save and deploy the policy to the GX.
- In the GX LMI, check for updates (Manage System Settings -> Administration -> Check for Updates). When completed, the GX LMI should only see show a firmware version available for install based on the latest firmware .pkg file found in the local /var/spool/updates/ directory.
If the above information does not resolve your issue, please contact IBM Security Systems Technical Support.