How to determine the exact cause of the slow response of the product
How can you determine the exact cause of the slow response when using the IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere or Rational Software Architect the products?
You are performing some activity in the product and the response is slow. This technote describes how you can gather a profiling trace to measure the time taken by individual method calls. Please note that there is no tool inside the product to read the generated trace, but you can supply it to IBM support for investigating the observed performance problem.
- Select Help > Performance > Profiling > Start CPU Profiling.
- You will see a dialog that shows you how to modify the eclipse.ini file in order to launch the JVM with the profiler. This requires adding a line like the following:
-agentpath:<Installation directory>\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\<bundle number>\1\.cp\os\<OS>\<platform>\yjpagent.dll
The dialog will show the actual value of the parameter, customized for that particular installation.
- Modify the file eclipse.ini as directed by the dialog.
- Restart the product.
- Invoke the menu: Help > Performance > Profiling > Start CPU Profiling.
- Choose between Tracing (more accurate, but slower) and Sampling (less accurate, but faster):
- Reproduce the action that causes the performance issue.
- Invoke the menu: Help > Performance > Profiling > Take snapshot.
- You will see a dialog like the following, that shows the location of the generated profiling file:
- Locate the generated file.
- Close the product.
- Remember to remove the
-agentpathline from the eclipse.ini file.
|Software Development||Rational Software Architect||Linux, Windows||8.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 8.5, 8.5.1|
|Software Development||Rational Software Architect for WebSphere Software||Linux, Windows||8.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 8.5, 8.5.1|
More support for:
Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software
Problem Resolution Toolkit
Software version: 8.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 8.5, 8.5.1
Operating system(s): Linux, Windows
Reference #: 1627067
Modified date: 28 February 2013