Attempts to launch IBM Rational PurifyPLUS results in error: "This application has failed to start because !CKERNEL.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
This is a standard Windows message that is displayed when a dependency is missing in a program.
The missing dependency in this case is the instrumented kernel32 as Purify cache was not added to the system path
Resolving the problem
In order to resolve the reported problem, apply the steps below:
- Start Command Prompt
- Enter the PATH command.
- Confirm that Purify cache folder is present in the PATH.
If it is not, then manually add Purify cache to the SYSTEM PATH and Reboot the system and proceed to step 4.
- Use the following purify command: purify /undo-replace [This will ensure there are no old instrumented versions of the PUT]
- Copy a new copy of the target program into a folder. Make sure this is freshly compiled uninstrumented version.
- Instrument the program in the replace mode. The typical program is purify /replace /run=no <program name>
- Start the instrumented program