Is there a way to disable auto start of the Portal Search Engine Application ?
Out of the box, WebSphere Portal install includes the Portal Search Engine(PSE), which requires one to create and maintain search collections. If you are not using the PSE and its features then you may receive exceptions related to it, such as SIAPI0009E. You may also receive other search-related errors during portal start up and run time. If you are not going to use out of the box PSE, then you can avoid these errors by disabling the auto start of the following search application. This will disable the PSE application and its features completely.
Steps to disable the auto start:
1. Open WAS Administrative or DMgr console.
2. Go to "Enterprise Applications > PA_Search_Center > Target specific application status"
3. Select WebSphere Portal and disable the auto start
4. Repeat steps for other 3 applications.
5. Save changes, and restart the server.