How do you install IBM Rational Test Workbench (RTW) without the graphical interface and unattended (silently)?
You are installing RTW on a server that has no graphical display or you want to automate installation so that it requires no user input.
See the Rational Integration Tester Installation Guide and IBM Installation Manager documentation when you follow these instructions.
You install and update IBM software through the IBM Installation Manager (IM). You need to install the Installation Manager before the RTW components. You can install IM silently from the command line.
To automate the installation process, Installation Manager enables you to create response files that contain the settings and parameters entered during an interactive installation using a graphical display. The response file is later used during automated and "headless" installations.
The procedure comprises of the following stages:
- Creation of the response file for silent install
- Product licensing
- Installation on the target computer
- Consult the Rational Test Workbench Release Notes to verify the required version of Installation Manager.
- Obtain the installation image for IM and install it on a test computer.
See document Installation Manager, Version 1.6 for download locations and installation instructions.
- Download the RTW installation image and extract it to a temporary location.
- Run IM and configure it to point to the RTW components.
Click File > Preferences > Repositories and click the Add Repository button.
Browse to the location of the RTW files and select the diskTag.inf or repository.config file.
Add repositories for each component you are installing.
- Save your changes and exit IM.
- Run IM on the command line and give the filename of the installation responses.
The IBMIM program location is in the eclipse subfolder of IM.
Windows: IBMIM -record <response file path and name> -log <log file path and name>
Other operating systems: ./IBMIM -record <response file path and name> -log <log file path and name>
./IBMIM -record /opt/IBM/RTW_responsefile.xml -log /opt/ibm/RTW_log.xml
- Follow the on-screen installation procedure and exit IM when done. Your responses are saved to file.
- Run Library Manager for Rational Integration Tester and Rational Integration Tester Agent as required.
Configure any 3rd-party JAR files and save the settings.
- Run Library Manager again on the command line to save the settings to a file that may be used on the target system.
Windows: LibConfig -genLibSettings <settings file path and name>
Other systems: ./LibConfig -genLibSettings <settings file path and name>
./LibConfig -genLibSettings /opt/IBM/RIT_libsettings.xml
- See the attached sample response file of a RIT installation. You can edit this file to suit your requirements and re-use it with IM.
To automate licensing configuration you must re-run IM and create a new response file with the licensing settings saved within it. For example, you need to configure the use of a floating licence server.
- Obtain the installation image for IBM Installation Manager (IM) and extract to a temporary location.
- Copy your response file onto the computer.
- Open a command prompt in the directory where IM was extracted to.
- Install IM on the command line.
Windows: installc -acceptLicense
Other systems: ./installc -acceptLicense
- Obtain the installation images for RTW and extract to a temporary location.
Ensure that this location is the same as that used when creating the response file.
Edit the response file when using a different temporary location.
- Install RTW on the command line.
Change directory to the eclipse/tools sub-folder.
Windows: imcl input <response file path and name> -acceptLicense
Other systems: ./imcl input <response file path and name> -acceptLicense
./imcl input /opt/IBM/RTW_response.xml -acceptLicense
- Complete the licensing configuration if required.
Repeat the imcl command, this time using the license response file.
./imcl input /opt/IBM/RTW_license_response.xml -acceptLicense
- Run Library Manager on the command line for Rational Integration Tester and Rational Integration Tester Agent as required.
Take the Library Manager settings file saved on the test machine and edit to suit.
Windows: LibConfig -processLibSettings <settings file path and name>
Other systems: ./LibConfig -processLibSettings <settings file path and name>
./LibConfig -processLibSettings /opt/IBM/RIT_libsettings.xml
The RTW components installation starts.
All source code and/or binaries attached to this document are referred to here as "the Program". IBM is not providing program services of any kind for the Program. IBM is providing the Program on an "AS IS" basis without warranty of any kind. IBM WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY ACTUAL, DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR INDIRECT DAMAGES OR FOR ANY ECONOMIC CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOST PROFITS OR SAVINGS), EVEN IF IBM, OR ITS RESELLER, HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.