How do you protect against Flame (also referred to as Flamer, sKyWIper, and Skywiper) malware?
There are no specific Flame signatures as this attack can use different penetrative methods. In order to provide the best chance of detection against it, IBM Security Systems recommend the following best practices:
- Ensure your IBM Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems are running the latest available XPU version. You can determine the latest content update version via the following URL: http://xforce.iss.net/XPressUpdates.do
- Ensure that the X-Force recommended blocks are enabled. This can be confirmed in the X-Force Virtual Patch Policy for the Proventia G/GX and within the Intrusion Prevention policy under the Protection Settings tab on the Proventia M/MX. For IBM Security Host Protection, this is enabled by default.
- Ensure your systems are up-to-date with the latest security patches and antivirus signatures.
- Activate the MSRPC_Spoolss_GetDocPrinter_Exec signature which detects intrusion as described in the MS10-061 expoit. This is one possible method of exploit used by Flame.
- Physical controls will help against USB autorun attacks. Normal system authentication controls and restrictions will prevent a user with administrative privileges executing the malware.
More information about Flame can be found using the links in the Related information section below.
If the above information does not resolve your issue, please contact IBM Security Systems Technical Support.
|Security||IBM Security Host Protection||Not Applicable||AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Windows||2.2.2, 7.0 - SR 4.1, 7.0 - SR 4.2, 7.0 - SR 4.3, 7.0 - SR 4.4, 1.0.0, 1.5.0||All Editions|
|Security||Proventia Network Multi-Function Security||Not Applicable||Firmware||3.14, 3.15, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6||All Editions|
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.