An otherwise normal Unix System Services (USS) user can assume the elevated security setting of NetView for z/OS to execute an arbitrary program at that elevated security level.
CVE ID: CVE-2012-5951
DESCRIPTION: An otherwise normal Unix System Services(USS) user can assume the elevated security setting of NetView for z/OS to execute an arbitrary program at that elevated security level.
CVSS Base Score: 7.2
CVSS Temporal Score: See http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/80643 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS String: (AV:L/AC:L/Au:N/C:C/I:C/A:C)
- Affected releases: 1.4, 5.1 through 5.4 & 6.1
- Releases/systems/configurations NOT affected: none
REMEDIATION: See table below for the appropriate PTF fix.
Note concerning the PE status of the original fixes (PTFs): See corresponding PE fix APAR for details.
REFERENCES: Any additional links, including related advisories (issued by IBM or other vendors), links to CVSS v2 Guide, CVSS calculator, X-Force database entry, and CVE entry link for the listed vulnerability or vulnerabilities.
- Complete CVSS Guide (hyperlink to http://www.first.org/cvss/cvss-guide.html )
- On-line Calculator V2 (link to http://nvd.nist.gov/cvss.cfm?calculator&adv&version=2 )
- X-Force Vulnerability Database (hyperlink to the entry in X-Force db that covers the given vulnerability )
- CVE-2012-5951 (hyperlink to http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-5951)
- December 21, 2012 Advisory Flash Created
- January 14, 2013 Updated to include PE information
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Flash.
Note: According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.