"The IBM Cognos FAP Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped" when trying to start FAP service when using 64-bit JAVA with Controller 10.1.1697 (or earlier)
I.T. administrator re-configures the Controller application server to use 64-bit JAVA. Afterwards, administrator tries to start the Windows service "IBM Cognos FAP Service", but receives an on-screen error message.
The IBM Cognos FAP Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.
Event Viewer (Application Log):
Log Name: Application
Date: 17/12/2012 13:21:06
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Service cannot be started. System.Exception: An error occured when initializing Java. Make sure a valid Java version is installed and correct path is set in System variable.
at FAPNTService.FAPNTService.OnStart(String args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)
There are several possible causes for similar symptoms.
- See separate IBM Technote #1698922 for more examples.
This Technote specifically relates to the scenario where:
- Customer using Controller 10.1.1697 (or earlier)
- There is a limitation (reference APAR PM80796) of older versions of Controller (10.1.1697 and earlier) when trying to use 64-bit JAVA.
Controller 10.1.1697 (or earlier) application server, which has been configured to use 64-bit JAVA (as per Technote #1618609).
Resolving the problem
- Upgrade to Controller 10.2.0 or later
- or upgrade to Controller 10.1.1700 or later, and then (afterwards) create a new System Variable called "FAP_JAVA_HOME" which is configured to point to a 32-bit JRE (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\ibm\Java60\jre).
There are two methods:
- Method #1
Disable the use of 64-bit JAVA RE, and instead use a 32-bit JRE.
- In other words, perform the reverse of the steps listed inside Technote #1618609.
- Method #2
It is possible to use a 'hybrid' (using both 64-bit JAVA for AFCs and 32-bit JAVA for FAP) by performing the following process:
- Change the value of "CCR_JAVA_HOME" to 32-bit location (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\ibm\Java60\jre)
- Start the Windows service "IBM Cognos FAP Service"
- Change the value of "CCR_JAVA_HOME" to 64-bit location (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\ibm\cognos\c10\bin64\jre\6.0)
- Start the Windows service "IBM Cognos Controller Java Proxy"
Naturally if any service needs to restart later (for example the server is rebooted) then the above processes will need to be re-done.
Translate this page: