How are the Tivoli Storage Manager API traces enabled on the FastBack Server or a FastBack DR HUB Server?
Since the FastBack DR to Tivoli Storage Manager server uses Tivoli Storage Manager API protocol, additional Tivoli Storage Manager API traces may be required to obtain more details about the Tivoli Storage Manager API messages, events and errors. This can assist with troubleshooting the FastBack DR to Tivoli Storage Manager server issues and problems.
Both the FastBack Server and FastBack DR HUB modules utilize the Tivoli Storage Manager API protocol. Thus, tracing can be enabled on either the FastBack Server side or on the FastBack DR HUB server side.
To enable the Tivoli Storage Manager API traces mechanism at one or at both points, use the following instructions:
1) Please, stop the FastBack DR (if it is running).
2) Find the file fb.opt. The possible file locations are:
- Windows 32 bit: %system drive%\windows\system32\
- Windows 64 bit: %system drive%\windows\SysWOW64
3) Edit the fb.opt file and add the following strings:
TRACEFILE <drive letter>\MyTraceFile.txt
TRACEFLAGS verbdetail service
<drive letter> is the path to the drive where there is enough disk space to store the growing Tivoli Storage Manager traces.
4) Save the fb.opt file after the changes are applied.
5) Run the FastBack DR and then gather the MyTraceFile.txt file after the problem and been captured. This file is the Tivoli Storage Manager API trace log.
Note: Do not forget to disable the Tivoli Storage Manager API tracing when the troubleshooting is finished. The trace log file grows rapidly and may cause the lack of free disk space problem.
To disable the Tivoli Storage Manager API tracing:
1) Stop the FastBack DR (if it is running).
2) Find the changed fb.opt file to remove the previously added trace strings.
3) Save the file.
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.