Customer's Controller application server is based on a 64-bit operating system, and would like to modify the Controller application server so that its JAVA functionality (e.g. AFCs, Intercompany reports etc.) run inside a 64-bit JAVA environment (JRE) rather than a 32-bit environment.
The reason why customer wants to upgrade is that the customer may be suffering from issues such as:
- Intermittent out of memory
- Slow performance due to memory swapping.
In some environments, changing the JRE from 32 to 64 bit can alleviate some of the above symptoms.
- For example, in one environment, AFC consolidations ran approximately 5% faster using a 64-bit JAVA (compared to the original 32-bit JAVA).
For all versions of Controller 10.1.1671 and earlier, Controller is supplied only with a 32-bit JAVA JRE.
- From Controller 10.1.1691 onwards, Controller is supplied with an 'optional' 64-bit JRE.
Controller application server based on 64 bit operating system (e.g. Windows 2008 R2).
Resolving the problem
Ensure that you are using Controller 10.1.1691 or later, and then reconfigure the Controller application server to use the 64-bit JRE.
- IMPORTANT: If you intend to run the FAP Service on this same application server, then make sure you read and action Technote #1620701.
- Ensure no users are using any functionality related to JAVA (or, ideally, ensure no users are in the Controller system at all)
- Logon to the Controller application server as a Windows administrator
- Stop the Windows service "IBM Cognos Controller Java Proxy"
- Launch Windows explorer, and navigate to the ...c10\server folder. TIP: by default this is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\cognos\c10\server
- Rename the file "ccrproxy.exe" to "ccrproxy.32bit"
- Rename the file "ccrproxy_x64.exe" to "ccrproxy.exe"
- Right-click on "Computer" and choose "Properties"
- Click "Advanced system settings"
- Click "Environment Variables"
- Highlight the "CCR_JAVA_HOME" system environment variable and click "Edit"
- Modify it to point to the directory of a 64 bit JRE. TIP: By default this is: C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\cognos\c10\bin64\jre\6.0
- Start the Windows service "IBM Cognos Controller Java Proxy"
IMPORTANT: Be aware that any subsequent software upgrade to the Controller server (e.g. later IF patch or whatever) will typically cause the "ccrproxy.exe" to be reset back to the default (32-bit) so the above technique will have to be repeated during any Controller server software patch.
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.