What information should be gathered before calling IBM Support when you have a deployment problem with a Virtual System, Shared Services, or Virtual Application on PureApplication System?
Gather the following information to expedite problem resolution.
- Prepare a description of the problem. Our technote will help you organize your problem information.
- List the steps leading up to the problem.
- Provide the date and time the problem occurred.
- Capture the Web Console screens showing the error or capture the series of screens showing the steps leading to the error.
- Scroll down and expand the history section and other sections.
- Capture the entire Web Console page including the URL. You will need to capture segments of the page with multiple screen captures.
- For a Virtual System deployment type, download the deployed Virtual Machine's logs:
- Select Workload Console and navigate to Instances -> Virtual Systems.
- Select the desired instance.
- Expand the "Virtual machines" section in the Details section.
- Near the bottom, look for the "Must Gather Logs" section.
- If the timestamp of the Must Gather Logs is the time of a recent startup (after the startup completed), then the log cloudburst_collect_*.tar file on the right has all the log data and you can download this file.
- If the timestamp is before a complete startup, then click the "Execute Now" link to generate a new set of logs, then download.
- For a Virtual Application or Shared Service deployment type:
- Go to Workload Console and navigate to Instances -> Virtual Application Instances.
- Select the desired instance.
- Expand the "Virtual machine Perspective" section.
- For specific Virtual machine showing the problem, click on the "Log" link.
- The "Log Viewer" screen will be displayed.
- Click on the "Download All' button.
- Save the logs to your personal computer.
- Obtain the Complete Collection Sets:
- Access the Web Console and click on: System Console > System > Troubleshooting.
- From Troubleshooting, the System Log is expanded.
- Click on: Collect Log.
- The Request System Logs dialogue box is displayed.
- The default collection set is Management, change this to "COMPLETE" and click ok to gather this information.
- The dialogue box closes.
- On the Troubleshooting page, the Collection Set table will show the request as pending.
- After the request changes to Available, then under the Action column, click on the "download" icon, and follow the prompts to save the file.
- Contact IBM Support. Reference our technote: Contacting IBM PureApplication System Support to open a PMR.
- Using the PMR number provided, send in the problem documentation you have gathered:
- Use the IBM Secure Diagnostic Data Upload Utility also called the Java Utility to upload the PureApplication System collections to greatly reduce the time to upload large files.
- Follow the steps our technote: Exchanging information with IBM PureApplication System Technical Support for problem determination.
- Do not send any confidential information from your company.