Running a report with the "starts with" comparison operator does not find objects with embedded spaces
A dialog displays the message "The report is empty."
Rational System Architect is working as designed. In this case the user is performing a comparison on a Listof field and any item containing a space is saved bounded in quotes, as can be seen both in the Advanced Editor and the Property pane (by selecting the property and observing the content of the bottommost pane). The item is saved bounded in quotes because space is used as a separator in expressions and minispecs. The parser needs the quotes to distinguish between definition names, operators, verbs, and so on.
Diagnosing the problem
- Define an Application definition.
- Under the Technologies tab, add a technology named My tech and click OK to save the definition.
- Create a new Report via the report generator.
- Specify the following property values:
- Definitions where type is Application
- Property is Technologies <-- Technologies
- Comparison is starts with, and Value is My
- For Properties to Print select Name.
- Generate the report. Note that the report is empty.
- Edit the report, changing the Value clause to "My (with the quotes).
- Generate the report.
- The Application definition is found.
Resolving the problem
When using a report to search for objects, in the Select Objects Wheredialog, and choosing starts with for the comparison operator, add a double-quotes to the beginning of the Value clause.