Attempts to run the 'cleartool hostinfo <server_name>' command in IBM Rational ClearCase results in the error "ClearCase not running on host (maybe Attache' client)".
Diagnosing the problem
Steps to diagnose:
- Verify if the error is seen when the command is run on the server machine itself.
- Verify and ensure there is no firewall enabled between the clients and the server machine.
- Verify if DNS is being used and there are no issues.
- Verify if the following, pointing to the server, works fine:
- Ping using shortname, Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) and IP address.
- nslookup using shortname, FQDN and IP address.
Resolving the problem
Steps to resolve:
- If the albd_server is actually running on the server machine, check that the "nscd" process is also running on it.
A sporadic DNS problem, (if any, as suggested by the nslookup) would be mitigated if nscd is running.
- Verify if the server has multiple network interfaces. If so, it could be an alternate hostnames problem. Maybe the alternate_hostnames file was set up incorrectly on the server machine.
- Ensure that iptables and ip6tables is turned off at the server machine. If not, turn these off and verify the working.
- If these does not help, run an network trace from the client machine for the duration of the cleartool hostinfo <server_name> command.
At the sametime, run and collect a tcpdump from the server machine.
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.