ClearCase not running on host (maybe Attache' client)
Attempts to run the 'cleartool hostinfo <server_name>' command in IBM Rational ClearCase results in the error "ClearCase not running on host (maybe Attache' client)".
Diagnosing the problem
Steps to diagnose:
- Verify if the error is seen when the command is run on the server machine itself.
- Verify and ensure there is no firewall enabled between the clients and the server machine.
- Verify if DNS is being used and there are no issues.
- Verify if the following, pointing to the server, works fine:
- Ping using shortname, Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) and IP address.
- nslookup using shortname, FQDN and IP address.
Resolving the problem
Steps to resolve:
- If the albd_server is actually running on the server machine, check that the "nscd" process is also running on it.
A sporadic DNS problem, (if any, as suggested by the nslookup) would be mitigated if nscd is running.
- Verify if the server has multiple network interfaces. If so, it could be an alternate hostnames problem. Maybe the alternate_hostnames file was set up incorrectly on the server machine.
- Ensure that iptables and ip6tables is turned off at the server machine. If not, turn these off and verify the working.
- If these does not help, run an network trace from the client machine for the duration of the cleartool hostinfo <server_name> command.
At the sametime, run and collect a tcpdump from the server machine.
More support for:
Software version: 188.8.131.52, 7.1, 7.1.1, 184.108.40.206, 7.1.2, 8.0
Operating system(s): AIX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1616450
Modified date: 12 November 2012
Translate this page: