If your IBM Business Monitor server is unable to publish cubes to the IBM Cognos BI service it may be caused by a configuration issue with the database client installed on the IBM Cognos BI server system.
Diagnosing the problem
This issue occurs if the following message is displayed while publishing Cognos cubes:
CWMAX5000E: Exception when publish Cognos cube package. root cause: CWMTC2210E: It was not possible to create the Cognos cube because the following error occurred: QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed. CWMTC2261E: The database logon failed. Ensure that a local database client is installed on the Cognos server and that the MONITOR database is cataloged. The cataloged name must match the database name configured in the Cognos data source for the Monitor database.
Resolving the problem
Check the installation and configuration of the database client on the IBM Cognos BI server system.
For a IBM Business Monitor V8.0 system the cube publish may be changed to use Dynamic Query Mode which utilizes a JDBC connection and does not require a native database client on the IBM Cognos BI server system. The IBM Cognos BI server will need to have JVM argument set.
Follow these instructions to turn on Dynamic Query mode during publishing:
1. In the Administration Console select Servers
2. Expand Server Type and select WebSphere application servers
3. Click on the name of your server
4. Expand Java™ and Process Management and select Process Definition.
5. Under the Additional Properties section, click Java Virtual Machine.
6. Scroll down and locate the textbox for Generic JVM arguments.
7. add "-Dinit.dqm.enabled=true"