How should I configure IBM Tape Manager for z/VM to run in a z/VM V6.2 environment that supports SSI and Live Guest Relocation (LGR)?
There are several things to consider when using Tape Manager for z/VM on multiple systems that are being managed in a z/VM V6.2 (or later) Single System Image cluster.
- Tape Manager for z/VM must be configured and running on each LPAR (or member) of the cluster. This is required so that tapes can be mounted on any member of the cluster.
- The installation user ID 5697J08x can be a single configuration user, so you only need to install the code once.
- Any administrator user IDs can be single configuration users, so you can administer the product on any member of the cluster from one user ID, when it's currently logged onto that member.
- All Tape Manager service machines (TMTMM, TMDMM, TMLMn (if used), TMCMM (if used), TMRMM (if used)) must be multiconfiguration (IDENTITY) users and thus configured on each member of the cluster.
- Sample directory entries for 5697J08x, TMTMM, TMDMM, TMLMn, TMCMM, and TMRMM are also available.
- If you are using Tape Manager with Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM and have chosen to have only one backup catalog for the entire cluster (and thus only one SFS server), then you must also configure Tape Manager to use one tape catalog for the entire cluster. If you configure Backup Manager to use one backup catalog but configure Tape Manager to have separate catalogs, then Backup Manager may not be able to find the appropriate tape during restore processing.
- Refer to the Tape Manager for z/VM V1.3 Installation and Administration Guide for details on setting up a shared catalog across multiple z/VM systems.
- Sample starter configuration files for a shared catalog environment are available.
- Considerations for running Backup and Restore Manager for z/VM in a z/VM V6.2 SSI environment provides more details on Backup Manager installation and configuration.