How to upgrade Rational Directory Server for Tivoli 5.2
How do you upgrade your IBM Rational Directory Server (RDS) for Tivoli 5.2?
Upgrading your Rational Directory Server (RDS) Tivoli is an involved process requiring you to review the various patches and upgrade procedures. This is NOT meant to replace the official installation and upgrade guides but to assist you by putting some structure on the process.
Before you start any upgrade, here is some useful information.
1) Naming conventions: "RDS" or "RDA"? "RDS Server" or "RDS Client" ?
RDS (as used inside Rational Synergy, Rational Change, Rational DOORS and other products) actually refers to two distinct pieces of software :
- Rational Directory Server (RDS): The actual directory server, with no user interface.
- Rational Directory Administrator (RDA): The web-based user interface to RDS. Also sometimes called "RDS client". You need to start it separately from RDS in order to browse RDS' content. The most common URL to RDA is : http://
It is important to understand the difference between the two, because some upgrades require you to install a new version of both RDS and RDA (and therefore to migrate your RDS data using the migration tool included in RDA), while some upgrades (almost all FixPacks and iFixes) only require to install a new RDA, in a new separate folder, with no data migration required.
Yet, be prepared to use the name "RDS" abusively, but still know what you and Rational Client Support are really talking about. When an upgrade contains only RDA, it might be called "RDS something", in particular "RDS client", as opposed to "RDS server", which usually refers to strictly RDS.
Long things short : You must banish this sort of questioning from your mind : "Why is RDA offered for download when you are trying to download RDS 188.8.131.52?". RDS sometimes refers to RDA, and vice versa.
2) Naming conventions : "Rational Directory Server Tivoli" or "Tivoli Directory Server" ?
Tivoli Directory Server (TDS) is an underlying component of RDS Tivoli, and has been installed by you prior to installing RDS Tivoli. Do not let the similar names confuse you.
3) What product do you currently have?
- Version: You might want to double-check what exact version of RDS and RDA you are currently using : Technote 1577605: How to find out the installed version of IBM Rational Directory Server (RDS) and Rational Directory Administrator (RDA) ?.
- Installation mode: You might want to double-check if RDS is installed in "standalone" mode, "OS" mode, or "Corporate LDAP" mode : Technote 1470545: How to determine the installed Rational Directory Server (RDS) mode.
4) Are you up-to-date with your RDS admin password (
tdsadmin) administration ?
Make sure you completely master your
tdsadmin account (and its password) using Technote 1469504: How to manage the user "tdsadmin" in IBM Rational Directory Server.
1) What upgrades are needed?
You should have at least RDS Tivoli 5.2, paired with any newer RDA (5.2, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, with any iFixes).
The following table shows the versions of RDS Tivoli available at the time of writing :
2) What if you use UNIX (Linux, AIX, Solaris) ?
Provided you have installed RDS 5.2, then you can just install every subsequent upgrade as a
separate RDA. in a new, separate folder, on the same machine. You don't need to migrate your data. Leave your RDS alone, and simply shut down your current RDA then start the one you just installed.
See more details about AIX below.
Additionally to the information from the table above, you might want to consider this :
- The IBM Global Security Kit(GSK) installation: Technote 1595962: How to install the GSKIT during the installation of Rational Directory Server 18.104.22.168 on AIX.
- About SSL mode and RDS 22.214.171.124 : Technote 1588941: Rational Directory Administrator in SSL mode does not display users with Rational Directory Server 126.96.36.199 (Tivoli) on IBM AIX platform.
The table above reminds you that, if you use Windows, you
can not install FixPacks 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 simply by installing those RDAs into a new, separate folder, like you would normally do on Unix.
- You need to download the full "RDS Server" assembly, containing both RDS and RDA.
- You need to have a new host machine available, since, as always, there can't be two instances of RDS on the same machine, due to a restriction of Tivoli. See Technote 1502245: Installing multiple IBM Rational Directory Server (Apache or Tivoli) on the same machine
- You will need to migrate your data (using the migration tool available in RDA) after the installation.
See: Release notes - Rational Directory Server 220.127.116.11 (Tivoli)
Instead, you will need to consider that you're installing a brand new RDS.
That means :
5) Download tips for RDS
Here are the official pages for each version :
- RDS 5.2 - Release notes - Rational Directory Server 5.2 (Tivoli). For information use the regular IBM Passport Advantage page.
- RDS FixPack 18.104.22.168 - Release notes - Rational Directory Server 22.214.171.124 (Tivoli) , Rational Directory Server (Tivoli) Fix Pack 1 (126.96.36.199) for 5.2I (also see screenshot below )
- RDS FixPack 188.8.131.52 - Release notes - Rational Directory Server 184.108.40.206 (Tivoli), Rational Directory Server (Tivoli) 220.127.116.11
- Rational Directory Server (Tivoli) Interim Fix 1 for 18.104.22.168 including release notes.
- Rational Directory Server (Tivoli) Interim Fix 2 for 22.214.171.124 including release notes.
Some downloads (for example: RDS 126.96.36.199) are available from
FixCentral (FC), which is a public access website. For those, the download link takes you to the correct page.
But some downloads (for example: RDS 188.8.131.52) are available only on the Passport Advantage website, which is reserved for customers.
If you cannot locate the RDS download you need on the Passport Advantage website, then try to search the unique Assembly "part number" instead. Most of the time, it's given in the download table on the Information page of the product.
Note: There is only one Linux download available. You can use this for Linux 32 bit or Linux 64 bit.
6) Download tips for IBM Global Security Kit (GSKit)
GSKit 184.108.40.206 -
Security Bulletin: Multiple vulnerabilities in Rational Directory Server (CVE-2012-2203, CVE-2012-2191) Includes Information, download link and installation information.
- It is of course recommended to install the latest GSKit, not just version 22 (at the time this Technote was released, version 24 existed).
- Note that the installation page (above) helps you understanding the naming convention to locate GSKit on the FixCentral website :
...But it omits to mention that the prefix has changed from "TIV" to "ISS"! :
- If you fail to locate the GSKit version you need on FixCentral (for example, the link on the "Linux 64" installation instructions points to the 32-bit version of GSKit -- this is a mistake), then simply perform a search on the website, based on the broader naming convention clarified above. Just in case, the full list of downloads is here: IBM Global Security Kit (All releases, All platforms)
For example, notice the difference between versions 21 and 22 for AIX :
installation overview" link (available on
RDS tivoli 220.127.116.11 information page) shows some seemingly interesting topics:
- "You are trying to install a package containing only RDA 18.104.22.168. Why do you end up on the full installation instructions of RDS 5.2 ?"
- "Your are trying to upgrade from 22.214.171.124 to 126.96.36.199. Why do you end up on a page stating "This procedure is for upgrading IBM Rational Directory Server from version 5.1 to 188.8.131.52." ?
...But then, new questions arise :
This is because the instructions to install and migrate RDS on the one hand, and to install RDA on the other hand, mostly remained the same since RDS 5.1! See below what you must do.
- Windows users :
Note: That will require you to stop your RDS server for some time.
As explained before:
- Consider that every installation of RDS 5.2, 184.108.40.206 or 220.127.116.11 is a brand new version. So you must fully reinstall RDS along with RDA.
- Download directly RDS 18.104.22.168 rather than any previous version (this will save you a lot of trouble regarding local users' management).
- Install using the instructions in Installing Rational Directory Server for RDS 5.2.
Note: Because of Tivoli restrictions, you will need to install the new RDS onto a new machine. Instructions for RDS Backup and RDS Restore are available for backup and restore on the same machine, but they do not migrate the data.
- Migrate your data using RDA's migration tool. To understand better the migration tool, additionally to RDS' official manual, see Technote 1502275: Highlight on IBM Rational Directory Server Conflicting and Duplicate users migration.
- Do not forget to apply the GSKit fixes.
- Stop RDA (see Technote 1504007: How to stop the IBM Rational Directory Administrator ).
- Download and install RDA 22.214.171.124 iFix 2 as a separate RDA.
- Apply the Help System security fix mentioned in the previous sections.
- Unix users :
Note: That will not require you to stop your RDS server, except briefly during GSKit installation.
Note 2: AIX users, refer to previous sections for additional steps.
You do not need to migrate your data, and you need only installing newer versions of RDA (see exceptions about AIX in the previous sections)
- Download directly RDA 126.96.36.199 iFix 2, and GSKit 188.8.131.52 (or higher).
- Stop your current RDA (see Technote 1504007: How to stop the IBM Rational Directory Administrator ).
- Install GSKit (follow the instructions mentionned before).
- Install the new RDA in a new folder.
- Apply the Help System security fix mentioned in the previous sections.
You should have at least RDS Tivoli 5.2
More support for:
Rational Directory Server
Software version: 5.2, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
Operating system(s): Linux, Windows
Reference #: 1614746
Modified date: 28 March 2014
Translate this page: