IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager (TSM) HSM for Windows® Version 6.3 Fix Pack 1 Known Problems and Limitations
This document describes the known problems and limitations for the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager V6.3 Fix Pack 1 HSM for Windows product.
- Copying HSM for Windows migrated files (stub files) using the Microsoft Robocopy tool can corrupt the stub file. The copied stub file cannot be used to recall the migrated file. The problem occurs on Windows server 2003; it could not be reproduced on Windows server 2008. You can use the HSM for Windows dsmmove.exe tool to move stubs to another location.
- Compressed files are uncompressed after recall.
- Encrypted stubs are decrypted after restore.
- Subfile backup and stub file backup are not supported together.
- Some client operating systems like Mac OS utilize alternate data streams. These are not migrated by the HSM for Windows client, and hence are not retrieved. They are tolerated and handled correctly with recalls. However, alternate data streams of stubs are not backed up by the Tivoli Storage Manager backup-archive client and cannot be restored. Alternate data streams are also not moved with the stub moving tools.
- The HSM for Windows client uses a regular archive pool on the Tivoli Storage Manager server and uses the standard management class. The default retention period for files in the archive copy group is 365 days. With the default value, migrated files are deleted from Tivoli Storage Manager storage after 365 days and stub files cannot be recalled after that. If you want to keep migrated files in Tivoli Storage Manager storage for more than one year, configure your migration to use a management class with the appropriate retention settings.
- Due to a restriction of the NTFS file system, extended attributes and reparse points are mutually exclusive. Because the HSM for Windows client uses reparse points, files with extended attributes cannot be migrated.
- Some messages may contain nouns in plural although singular should be used. So you may find expressions like "1 files" or "1 servers".
- Recall quotas for the security types Security Group - Global and Security Group - Universal cannot be defined or viewed. If the recalling user belongs to such a group, HSM does not consider that group in its recall quota calculations.
- Hardware volume mapping can only be applied for volumes with a drive letter. For more details see the TSM HSM for Windows Administration Guide (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6r3).
- Installation in a path with national language characters:
The HSM for Windows client cannot be installed in a path that contains national language characters. Only installation paths with English characters are supported.
- Restoring previous stub file versions from within Windows Shadow Copies is not supported. The Windows operating system stores Shadow Copy snapshot data in a format different from the NTFS format. Some of the NTFS features are not supported by Windows inside snapshot data. Thus stub files cannot be restored in current HSM for Windows versions from snapshot data.
- Copying HSM for Windows migrated files (stub files) using the Microsoft Robocopy tool on Windows server 2008 is not working as expected. Some attributes might not be copied correctly. For example the copied file appears to be offline although the file is resident. You can use HSM for Windows dsmmove.exe tool to move stubs to another location. Please also note known problem with Robocopy on Windows server 2003.
- Stub files on a shared file system cannot be recalled using a MAC OS X 10.6.7, 10.6.8 or 10.7 connecting to the shared file system over SMB.
- If cluster services are not running when you install the HSM for Windows client, you might not be able to configure reconciliation and threshold migration. To resolve the problem, run the installation again with the 'Repair' option on all cluster nodes where you cannot configure reconciliation and threshold migration.
More support for:
Tivoli Storage Manager HSM for Windows
Software version: 6.3
Operating system(s): Windows 2003 server, Windows 2008 server
Reference #: 1614373
Modified date: 20 February 2013