What steps should you take if you receive the following type of error when installing Symphony 3.0.1 on Mac 10.8?
In some cases the required System Java may be missing, causing this error. The JVM check code inside the Symphony 3.0.1 installer does not work as expected on previous Mac OS X versions, so the issue was not encountered.
You can manually determine if the System Java has already been installed and enabled. If missing, you can install it.
Below are instructions with additional details and screen shots. The JVM installation only needs to be done once per operating system install.
- Open Finder and select the Applications folder. Inside the folder locate the Utilities folder, which contains the 'Java Preferences' application shown below.
- If a JVM is not installed, the following dialog will appear when the 'Java Preferences' application is launched. Press the OK button to dismiss it.
- After the message above, the following dialog will appear. Press the 'Install' button to install the JVM.
- When the JVM installation is complete, re-launch the Java Preferences application.
- Under the 'General' tab is a list of currently installed JVMs. Only modify this list if you are experiencing the IBM Lotus Symphony installation error, or if you are an advanced user. For IBM Lotus Symphony 3.0.1 ensure that at least one JVM is checked, and that it is Version 1.5 or above with a CPU-Type of 32-bit. If the JVM installer just ran, all JVMs should be checked and no further modifications are necessary.
- Quit Java Preferences and re-launch the IBM Lotus Symphony 3.0.1 installer. The error message should not appear and installation continue as normal. If it still fails please report the problem on the Lotus Symphony forum - http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/ForumnsHome.nsf/home
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.