ITCAM for Microsoft Applications - SQL Server Agent configuration fails with message "AFUtil64.exe has stopped working" .
Configure a new instance for Microsoft SQL agent by right clicking the agent template in Manage Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Services window . After filling in the Database Server Properties, click the OK button. Following message box is displayed:
Microsoft SQL Server is running in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit Windows operating system and the monitoring agent is installed at 64 bit.
Windows 2008, 64 bit architecture
IBM Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Microsoft Applications - Monitoring agent for Microsoft SQL Server, V6.2.3, 64-bit
Diagnosing the problem
1. Check the MSSQL Server bit level as follows:
Open a new query in SQL Server Management window and execute the following:
If the output shows server architecture of Intel X86 - then the MSSQL server is running at 32 bit level. For example:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3042.00 (Intel X86) Feb 9 2007
22:47:07 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Express
Edition with Advanced Services on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601: Service
2. Check bit level of monitoring agent for MS SQL Server.
From ITM\InstallITM directory, run following command:
kincinfo -d -t oq
Check the output for MSSQL agent architecture. For example, following output shows that the agent is installed at 64 bit level (WIX64):
"OQ","Monitoring Agent for Microsoft SQL Server",
Above results mean that a 64 bit monitoring agent is installed to monitor a 32 bit MSSQL Server instance. This incompatibility is causing the problem with agent configuration.
Resolving the problem
To resolve the problem, follow these steps:
1. Uninstall the 64 bit MSSQL monitoring agent using Add/Remove programs or equivalent tool for the Windows operating system.
2. Install 32 bit Monitoring Agent for MS SQL Server. This 32 bit agent is in the same install image that was used to install 64 bit monitoring agent.
3. Install 32/64 bit compatibility package, if not already installed. You can check if this package is installed by looking at kincinfo output for "AC" component. For example:
kincinfo -d -t ac
AC 32/64 Bit Agent Compatibility Package WIX64 06.23.01.00 201202220943 20120727 2134
4. Configure MSSQL agent.