Attempts to initialize the Informix server on Windows results in "Error building 'sysmaster' database."
Informix server is not able to build sysmaster database and following messages are seen in the online.log:
Building 'sysmaster' database ...
Error building 'sysmaster' database.
Assert Failed: build_smi failed
IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 11.50.TCXXX
Releasing server from system block
Resolving the problem
Verify the following:
1. You are running as 'informix' or 'root'
2. $INFORMIXDIR\etc\buildsmi exists
3. $INFORMIXDIR\etc\sysmaster.sql exists
4. dbaccess is executable and will connect to your server
5. You can write to the file %INFORMIXDIR%\etc directory
6. Registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment is set to REG_EXPAND_SZ.
REG_EXPAND_SZ defines the 'type' for some of the parameter names. When the value specified in the 'data' column for the parameter name contains an expression such as %SystemRoot%, the REG_EXPAND_SZ type tells the OS to expand the data variable to the full path expression. Any PATH related expressions in the data column containing a '%value%' should be set to type REG_EXPAND_SZ to ensure that shell variables will expand, and buildsmi.bat can locate the required commands in the system32 directory for successful installation.