Error when saving a Clarity Server template - "Error in opening SpreadsheetML file"
When a user opens a Clarity template in Internet Explorer and attempts to save it, an error message is displayed ("Error in opening SpreadsheetML file") and the changes are not properly saved in the database.
The following error is generated by Clarity when saving a template :
System.Exception: Error in opening SpreadsheetML file. --->
System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
at ?.?.?(Workbook ?, XmlTextReader ?)
at ?.?.?(Stream ?, Workbook ?)
at Aspose.Cells.Workbook.Open(String fileName, FileFormatType type)
This issue seems to be caused by a third party Clarity Server Component (Aspose) which does not properly recognize the template XML format when saving.
Diagnosing the problem
- log into Clarity Server using Internet Explorer
- open a certain template in Clarity
- make a change and save the template
- observe if it is saving properly or if the error mentioned above
Resolving the problem
-In order troubleshoot this issue, check the following :
- make sure that the recommended IE settings has been applied on the user machine
- when saving the template, if a prompt appears in IE (This program is attempting to save ... are you sure you want to save C:/Users/username/appdate/local/temp/save 234120023.xml to your hard drive ?) click on "YES". This prompt is generated by the Office web Components and may corrupt the XML save file if you Click "No"
- make sure that the template has a valid XML schema (by opening it in Studio and looking at the validation log)
- make sure that the template xls file does not contain custom styles or is saved in a different file format than Excel 2003