How do you increase performance when loading a large plan using IBM Rational Team Concert (RTC) Web UI?
Accessing large plans in the web UI can cause performance degradation, and it may take a long time to load the plan.
The following items should be considered to ensure the best performance when loading plans within the web UI of RTC:
- In general we have found that plan loading with Mozilla Firefox as an Internet browser has shown to have faster response times when compared to Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- The plan size to be within 300 - 500 top level plan items (work items).
- The total number of work items should be kept under 500 within one plan.
- Reduce the number of displayed columns in the plan. Follow these steps:
- A flat list will load faster than a plan view with grouping or sorting configured. To modify grouping and sorting, follow these steps:
1. Click on the icon that shows the pencil symbol.
2. Select the Edit "ViewName" option.
3. Select Options.
4. Select the Group/Sorting options you do not need.
5. Click on the "x" at the far right to remove them.
6. Click on OK to save the View.
- For larger plans, de-select the Include All Items option. If selected, this option Includes execution items from sub-teams and past iterations. For a detailed explanation of what this option does, see the topic What makes a Work Item appear on a Plan? in the Jazz.net Article #593.
- In Rational Team Concert 126.96.36.199 improvements have been made to both loading work items in a batch, as well as compressing the data to improve performance while loading in the web UI.
- In Rational Team Concert 4.0.1 your plans will render up to 25% faster in the web UI, when compared to Rational Team Concert 4.0.
Additional Articles and Resources
Some Planning Performance and Scalability testing data can be found from Jazz.net Task 202728 as reference benchmark data.
|Jazz and Rational Team Concert have an active community that can provide you with additional resources. Browse and contribute to the User forums, contribute to the Team Blog and review the Team wiki.
Refer to technote 1319600 for details and links.