Cannot install Cognos BI using issetup on Linux. libXm.so.4 is missing.
During the installation of Cognos Business Intelligence, the following error message is generated when a required openmotif package is missing or is not at the required version level:
"Error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Resolving the problem
Scenario 1: OpenMotif package is missing
For Cognos 10.2, you must install both the 32-bit and 64-bit OpenMotif packages. For Cognos Business Intelligence 10.1.x, only the 32-bit OpenMotif package is required. Depending on the Linux distribution version, you must install one of the following packages:
- openmotif.x86_64 (RHEL)
- openmotif.i386 (RHEL5)
- openmotif.i686 (RHEL6)
- openmotif (SLES)
- openmotif-libs-32bit (SLES)
Note: For SLES distributions, the OpenMotif libraries can be found at the SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 Software Development Kit e-Media Kit web site ( http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=fQKpDcAhPVY&ref=suse).
Scenario 2: Incorrect version of the OpenMotif package is installed
If the OpenMotif version installed is earlier than version 2.3.1, you can do either of the following:
Use an unattended installation with the issetupnx command
- Follow the steps in the Installation and Configuration Guide to create and modify a response file.
- Go to the operating system directory in the installation files.
- Type the following command:
./issetupnx -s path/response_file.ats
Create a softlink to an existing OpenMotif library
- Go to the /usr/lib directory.
- Use to the following command to create a symbolic link to another version of libXm.so and name the symbolic link the name of the missing library file; for example, libXm.so.4.
ln -s libXm.so.3 libXm.so.4
- Run issetup again.
More support for:
Cognos Business Intelligence
Install and Config
Software version: 10.1.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2
Operating system(s): Linux
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 1612290
Modified date: 09 January 2017