Security Bulletin: Potential Denial of Service (DoS) security vulnerability in IBM Sterling Secure Proxy
Potential Denial of Service (DoS) security vulnerability in IBM Sterling Secure Proxy due to a Java HashTable security vulnerability in Jetty (CVE-2011-4461).
SUMMARY: Potential Denial of Service (DoS) security vulnerability in IBM Sterling Secure Proxy due to a Java HashTable security vulnerability in the embedded Jetty web server.
CVE ID: CVE-2011-4461
DESCRIPTION: IBM Sterling Secure Proxy is potentially vulnerable to Denial of Service attacks because one of its embedded components, Jetty, has a security vulnerability. The vulnerability is caused by insufficient randomization of hash data structures. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the consumption of CPU resources. Customers who are using IBM Sterling Secure Proxy may be impacted by this Jetty vulnerability which can cause performance or Denial of Service (DoS) issues.
CVSS Base Score: 5
CVSS Temporal Score: See http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/72017 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS String: (AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:N/I:N/A:P)
The following IBM® Sterling® Secure Proxy Versions are affected:
• Version 18.104.22.168 through 22.214.171.124.
• Version 126.96.36.199 through 188.8.131.52
• Version 184.108.40.206 through 220.127.116.11
• Version 18.104.22.168 through 22.214.171.124
The recommended solution is to apply the fix for each version as soon as practical. See below for information on fixes available.
For V126.96.36.199 through 188.8.131.52:
- Install Fix Pack 17 (184.108.40.206) or later, if your environment is not already at this level.
For V220.127.116.11 through 18.104.22.168:
- Install Fix Pack 21 (22.214.171.124), or later, if your environment is not already at this level. Customers at releases prior to SSP 3.2.0 should use this Fix Pack to upgrade to SSP 126.96.36.199.
For V188.8.131.52 through 184.108.40.206:
- Install Fix Pack 5 (220.127.116.11) or later, if your environment is not already at this level.
For V18.104.22.168 through 22.214.171.124:
- Install Fix Pack 5 (126.96.36.199).
• None known; apply fixes
• None known
• Complete CVSS Guide
• On-line Calculator V2
• X-Force Vulnerability Database
For more information see:
• IBM Secure Engineering Web Portal
• IBM Product Security Incident Response Blog
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Flash.
Note: According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY