Preventive Service Planning
This document describes the recommended strategy and steps for applying maintenance updates to IBM Connections 4.0.
Table of Contents:
- Section 1 - Important Release Notes
- Section 2 - General Information
- Section 3 - Customization and product modifications
- Section 4 - List of CR fixes
- Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
- Section 6 - Recommended WebSphere Application Server Fix Pack
Section 1 - Important Release Notes
1. IBM Connections 4.0 CR2 deployment using Connections Mail need to have Connections Mail 1.0 FP1 installed. Pre-FP1 Connections Mail will not load with IBM Connections 184.108.40.206 CR2.
2. IBM Connections 4.0 CR2 deployment using Connections Mail installations that have a customized header.jsp MUST migrate the changes made in the JSP file to the new version of the header.jsp file included with CR2.
3. [UPDATED FOR CR3] IBM Connections 4.0 Cumulative Refresh 2 (CR2) and higher require database updates. The Homepage database schema must be updated using the information in this technote. For CR3 and higher, the Metrics database schema must also be updated. The additinal information, including steps and the SQL scripts, are in the same document.
4. After applying IBM Connections 4.0 CR2, set an initial count for Metrics. Note that this cannot be done until after CR2 has been applied. Please read this product documentation page for details: Setting an initial count for Metrics. Please note that this is not a mandatory step for CR2 install. You can also choose to perform this task during non-peak periods of the Connections server environment.
5. The update installer has a new informational dialog and a new silent install parameter, stating with the 220.127.116.11_20121204_0628 build, which was released with 4.0 CR2 on December 20, 2012. The information in the dialog pertains to the required database update for CR2, which is listed in item #2 in this list. The silent installer has a new required parameter, homepageDBSchemaUpdatesHaveBeenCompleted. Value can be set to yes or no. The parameter is used as acknowledgement that the schema update has been completed.
6. The opensocial-config.xml configuration file has been updated in CR2 (and higher). The existing file will be backed up at this location in the server's filesystem:
If you have customized this file before applying CR2 (or higher), please compare the backed up copy with the new one and re-add your customizations to the new file. If you already updated this file for CR2, no need to re-update for CR3.
7. Note to users of Mobile clients: IBM Connections 4.0 CR1 (or higher) requires the use of the 4.0 Mobile client.
8. Please review the IBM Connections 4.0 CR1(or higher) Post-install Deployment Configuration Steps document and follow the steps after applying the CR.
Section 2 - General Information
Updates for IBM Connections 4.0 are delivered via interim fixes called "Cumulative Refresh" (CR).
Cumulative Refreshes (CRs) consists of a set of cumulative fixes, one for each IBM Connections application. The entire application is updated.
The CR includes multiple code changes, bundled into a single package and verified together following IBM's interim fix delivery process.
We recommend customers to apply the latest set of CR fixes as it becomes available. This ensures that all the applications in the IBM Connections environment are at the latest version. This in turn prevents the occurrence of known issues in your environment, increasing stability and minimizing downtime. It also helps expedite the resolution of newly reported issues.
It is important to backup customizations and product modifications made to the application prior to applying a set of CR interim fixes. Please refer to this page in the product documentation for details:
Section 3 - Customization and product modifications
Customization changes to IBM Connections should be performed in accordance to the product documentation. Please review the "Customizing the user interface" topic in the product documentation for details. Most customizations that you make to product files are stored in the customization directory. These include:
1. Changes to any static file, like images, CSS, HTML and text files.
2. Changes to "real" files, that is, files that are not generated at runtime and get served directly to the browser.
3. Changes to JSP files using a standard include request, <jsp:include page="myjspfragment.jspf" .../> and <c:import url= myjspfragment.jspf/>.
There is a set of files that cannot be customized using the customization directory stated in the product documentation. Please review this list of customizable objects, which cannot be customized using the customization directory:
1. Changes to JSP files using the JSP include directive. For example: <%@ include file="myjspfragment.jspf"%>.
2. Changes to files within a Java Archive (JAR) file. For example: adding custom strings to the ui.properties file in the lc.profiles.web.app-3.0.jar archive in order to customize error messages for field validation.
3. Changes to Java classes (Java class files).
4. Changes to TAG files. These are used in Communities and Forums.
5. Changes to TLD files.
6. Changes to most XML configuration files within the WEB-INF directory. This includes web.xml.
IBM support recommends that customization changes be made only within the customization directory. Changes that cannot be made using the customization directory are known as product modifications.
Product modifications refer to changes made to IBM Connections product files directly in the product installation directories (for example, within an application directory). These changes will be overwritten by fixes applied to the product. These changes must be backed up prior to the application of product fixes and then merged into the installed product files. They should also be properly documented by the customer, to have a record of the changes made and quickly determine if something needs to be merged into the updated product files. By default the application directories are located at this path:
This is a sample path in Microsoft Windows for the Activities application installed in the default location:
Keep in mind that depending on the extent of the file modifications made by the user and the extent of the changes done by IBM to said files, it may be necessary for the system administrators to work with the application development team to resolve merge issues.
In addition to customizing the user interface, you may have also created custom security role mappings in the WebSphere Application Server Integrated Solutions Console for one or more of the IBM Connections applications. These custom security roles will need to be re-mapped.
Section 4 - List of CR fixes
Fix list for IBM Connections 4.0 CR4 (Released August 14, 2013)
Note: The latest version of the update installer is required to apply the CR interim fixes. Please see the information in step #1 of the Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates section to learn how to obtain the latest version of the update installer.
Review all sub-topics in the Updating IBM Connections 4.0 topic of the product documentation.
Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
Note: These instructions are a summary of the procedure. They are intended to complement the product documentation pages on installing interim fixes. Please review the links provided above for more details.
1. Download the latest version of the update installer. The latest version of the update installer is available from Fix Central.
2. Download the latest set of CR updates. The latest set of CR updates are on Fix Central.
3. Replace the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory. For example, if you have IBM Connections installed in C:\IBM\LotusConnections, then the update installer must be in C:\IBM\LotusConnections\updateInstaller. Rename or move the existing directory to another directory to preserve it, then extract the archive containing the latest update installer version from step #2 above.
4. Copy all the CR JAR files (one JAR per application) to the fixes directory inside the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory. For example, if you have IBM Connections installed in C:\IBM\LotusConnections, then the update installer must be in C:\IBM\LotusConnections\updateInstaller and the JAR files must be within the C:\IBM\LotusConnections\updateInstaller\fixes directory.
5. If applying the CR interim fixes to a clustered environment, ensure the WebSphere® Application Server Deployment Manager is started.
6. Run the update installer and follow the instructions to apply all fixes. For information on applying interim fixes, review the Installing interim fixes topic in the product documentation.
7. Start all nodes and perform a full synchronization to push the update to all nodes.
- If using the Update Installer's graphic user interface (GUI) to apply the fixes: Ensure the directory for the fix location matches the exact location of the fixes directory inside the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory, as stated in step #4. Otherwise, the installer will not find the fixes.
- If using the silent install option, you will need to specify the parameter "featureCustomizationBackedUp" and set the value to "yes", to indicate that you have backed up any customization done to the base product, or no, to indicate that customization was not done and there is no need for a back up.
Silent install example:
|./updateSilent.sh -fix -installDir /opt/ibm/dmgr/websphere/AppServer/LotusConnections -fixDir /opt/ibm/dmgr/websphere/AppServer/LotusConnections/updateinstaller/fixes -install -fixes LO68406 -wasUserId myadminuser -wasPassword mypassword -featureCustomizationBackedUp yes -homepageDBSchemaUpdatesHaveBeenCompleted yes|
Section 6 - Recommended WebSphere Application Server Fix Pack
IBM WebSphere Application Server 7.0 FP29 (18.104.22.168) (with specific WAS iFixes) is the latest supported WAS fix pack and recommended for all IBM Connections 4.0 environments. Please review the detailed system requirements page for more details, which includes a list of required WAS iFixes for each supported fix pack.
IBM Connections 4.0 on AIX - Detailed system requirements
IBM Connections 4.0 on Linux - Detailed system requirements
IBM Connections 4.0 on Windows - Detailed system requirements
WebSphere Application Server Required Fixes for 22.214.171.124:
Fix Central iFix for PM81521 : Messages stuck in pending acknowledgement state in WebSphere Application Server