MustGather: Performance, Hang, or High CPU issues with CLM applications
This document will assist you in collecting the data necessary to diagnose and resolve performance, hang, or high CPU issues with the IBM Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) products (includes Rational Team Concert (RTC), IBM Rational Quality Manager (RQM) and IBM Rational Requirements Composer (RRC)).
Performance, hang, or high CPU issues with the CLM products may occur when installed in a distributed environment. Each issue may contribute to a variety of symptoms and behavioral deficiencies
This MustGather will assist you in collecting the data necessary to help you diagnose and resolve the issue. If you are unable to determine the root cause using the information collected, you should open a PMR with IBM Rational Support for further investigation providing the data collected.
Resolving the problem
You can use the IBM Support Assistant Lite (ISA Lite) Data Collector tool to quickly collect diagnostic files, such as log files, configuration files or to run traces. This tool is bundled with CLM 4.x and above. ISA Lite collects information about your Jazz Team Server environment and stores the information in a .zip archive file. If you have a need to open a service request with IBM Rational Support for further assistance, you can send the archive file with the data collection so that they can help diagnose and fix problems.
The information below should be gathered in addition to the normal information and log gathering done by ISA Lite.
Note: Further information to help troubleshoot performance issues with your CLM products is also available in the Performance troubleshooting section of the Deployment wiki on jazz.net.
- What affect is this having on the business
- Is this a production or test environment
- How many users are affected
- Problem description
- Steps to recreate
- Were there any recent changes made to the environment
- Were new users able to log into any CLM applications?
- What behavior did the logged-in users encounter?
- Any errors or exceptions logged at the time the incident occurred
Description of the Topology includes:
- Is this a stand alone or distributed environment?
- The version of the CLM applications including all applied iFixes and hot fixes
- Are the CLM applications deployed on Apache Tomcat or IBM WebSphere
If WebSphere, provide the output of:
and indicate if WebSphere is installed as 64bit or 32 bit
- The Operating System the CLM applications are installed on
- Specify 64- or 32- bit
- Include the number of CPU's
- How much memory is available
- The Database vendor and version being used.
If multiple database instances are being used, provide details on which CLM application is using which database instance and indicate if the database is installed as 32bit or 64bit
|Javacore Log Files and Application Logs|
Due to the distributed and interconnected nature of the CLM applications we will need at minimum data from the JTS server and the affected CLM application which are collected at the time the incident occurs. If possible, providing data from all JVMs would be preferred
- Enable verbose gc and javacore creation
Websphere instructions are located here
- Add the following two lines to the server.startup script or to the Java Options in the Tomcat Control Panel if running as a Windows Service (ensure that the - character is present at the beginning)
- Restart the Application Server for the changes to take effect.
- Include all the CLM logs including ETL logs (located in
- Provide the output from using the WAIT tool
*Note: The WAIT tool is not compatible with Windows 2012.
- If CLM is running on WebSphere, provide the WebSphere Performance, hang, or high CPU mustgathers for the operating system CLM is installed on (in addition to those listed above)
Liberty Profile javacore collection instructions are located here
- Gather a screenshot of the following page from the web UI. Ensure you gather a screenshot for each application (example: jts, ccm, jazz, and others).
The Jazz based products have an active community that can provide you with additional resources. Browse and contribute to the User forums, contribute to the Team Blog and review the Team wiki.
Review technote 1319600: Leveraging the Jazz Community on Jazz.net for details.
|Software Development||Rational Requirements Composer||Team Server||Windows, Linux||3.0.1, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.0.5, 4.0.6, 4.0.7|
|Software Development||Rational Quality Manager||Team Server||Linux, Windows||3.0.1, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.0.5, 4.0.6, 4.0.7, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2|
|Software Development||Rational DOORS Next Generation||General information||Linux, Windows||4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.0.5, 4.0.6, 4.0.7, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2|
More support for:
Rational Team Concert
Software version: 3.0, 3.0.1, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.0.5, 4.0.6, 4.0.7, 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.0.2
Operating system(s): AIX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1607533
Modified date: 04 February 2015