Installation or upgrade of IBM Rational ClearQuest (CQ), IBM Rational ClearCase (CC) or IBM Rational RequisitePro (ReqPro) versions 188.8.131.52 - 184.108.40.206 or later fails with the error message "status=1603" when the installer tries to install the Global Security Kit (GSKit) package.
The IBM Installation Manager install operation fails with an error similar to the following:
Error occurred in phase: install
SU: ibm.gskit7 7.1.1006.0000-7-1-1-06-00-2011B-D110330
IU: ibm.gskit7.iu 999.999.999.-801196304->999.999.999.890104693
Message: Error executing "C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe" operation
See agent output log for more information: C:
In the installation log, the cause of the failure is Microsoft Installer (MSI) error code 1603. If the MSI log (gsk7install.log) was captured, users might also notice the following messages in the MSI log:
: Failed to create script engine...
1: Script Handler initialization failed, error = 0x0
followed by this text:
Action start 18:18:00: GSKQueryInstallPath.
1: f1: Function failed, the user might cancel the installation.
CustomAction GSKQueryInstallPath returned actual error code 1603 (note this may
not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 18:18:00: GSKQueryInstallPath. Return value 3.
Note: The default location for the MSI log is in the defined %TEMP% directory.
The MSI installer for the GSKit MSI package has an issue handling certain conditions on Windows 7 platforms.
This issue was identified as a product defect and logged under APAR PM69850
Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit
Resolving the problem
This issue has been resolved in version 8.0.x of Rational ClearQuest, Rational ClearCase and in version 7.1.3.x of Rational RequisitePro.
If you are unable to upgrade to the product version where the GSKit installation problem has been resolved, use the following instructions to work-around the problem for the Rational product version you want to install. A work-around is available specifically for versions 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.
Note: Before completing this process, review the limitations that apply to the work-around and be aware that the process requires you to perform several manual actions to resolve the problem.
Limitations of this work-around:
- Installation using this work-around is performed in two manual parts:
Part 1 - Install the CC, CQ and/or ReqPro (22.214.171.124/126.96.36.199 or later in which a fix is available) without the GSKit package.
Part 2 - Install the GSKit package separately.
- Before beginning the manual work-around process, you must first uninstall the previous product installation using Installation Manager. You cannot use Installation Manager to upgrade the product from an earlier version. However, after a product is installed using this work-around, it is possible to upgrade from that version to a later version provided a part of this work-around is applied. For more information, see Future upgrades.
- Verify that the system where you are installing does not have any of the following software installed: CC, CQ, ReqPro, and GSKit.
If any installations are found, remove them before proceeding. For instructions, see Instructions to uninstall.
Close any running instances of IBM Installation Manager.
- Determine which product version you will obtain the work-around for, either versions 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206 as follows:
The work-around for 220.127.116.11 can be obtained in the attached archive file: InstallGSKit-Manual.zip
The work-around for 18.104.22.168 can be obtained in the attached archive file:
- Extract the contents of the appropriate version-specific attached archive file, InstallGSKit-Manual.zip or InstallGSKit-Manual-22.214.171.124.zip into a local directory on the system where you want to install Rational ClearCase, Rational ClearQuest or Rational RequisitePro.
- After extracting the appropriate version-specific archive, copy the file:
For 126.96.36.199: com.ibm.rational.clearquest.nt_i386_7.1.2006.0000-7-1-2-06-00-2012A-D120328_SE.jar
- Navigate to the offerings directory in the product update repository location where the product update installation files are located. Then, rename or back up the file with the same name as the copied file. Then, paste the copied file into the directory.
For example, backup then replace:
c:\IBM\Installation_Repositories\CQ\188.8.131.52_update\nt_i386\Offerings\com.ibm.rational.clearquest.nt_i386_7.1.2006.0000-7-1-2-06-00-2012A-D120328_SE.jar with the copy you have obtained from the version-specific attached archive file.
c:\IBM\Installation_Repositories\CQ\184.108.40.206_update\nt_i386\Offerings\com.ibm.rational.clearquest.nt_i386_7.1.2010.0000-7-1-2-10-00-2013A-D130307_SE.jar with the copy you have obtained from the version-specific attached archive file.
After the file has been updated, the Installation Manager install process skips the installation of GSKit by default.
- Use IBM Installation Manager to install CC, CQ or ReqPro from this manually updated repository.
- To install GSKit on the system where you installed the product, navigate to the local directory where you extracted InstallGSKit-Manual.zip (for 220.127.116.11) or InstallGSKit-Manual-18.104.22.168.zip (for 22.214.171.124). Then, run InstallGSKit.bat.
- The InstallGSKit.bat file uses WinZip32.exe for extracting files. If the system has another extraction utility installed, update the batch file to use the desired installed utility.
- If you are experiencing this problem on a version other than 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52, contact Rational Client Support to confirm the situation, impact, upgrade feasibility to 8.x and to determine next steps. Requests will be individually evaluated.
- Use IBM Installation Manager to remove the existing CC, CQ or ReqPro product version from the system.
- To remove GSKit, run the RemoveGSKit.bat program available in the version-specific attached archive.
When upgrading the installed Rational product to a later version after having followed the manual work-around installation process, an updated version of the InstallGSKit-Manual.zip will be required. The new version must be specific to the version of the product that you are upgrading to. You must also perform steps 3, 4, and 5, from the Applying the work-around procedure.
At this time a manual work-around archive is only available for 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
You do not have to reinstall GSKit as long as the same GSKit version is used in future releases of the Rational product version you are upgrading (7.1.2.x and 7.1.1.x).
Note: If the version of the GSKit does change, contact IBM Rational Technical Support for information about upgrading GSKit to the latest version.
All source code and/or binaries attached to this document are referred to here as "the Program". IBM is not providing program services of any kind for the Program. IBM is providing the Program on an "AS IS" basis without warranty of any kind. IBM WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY ACTUAL, DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR INDIRECT DAMAGES OR FOR ANY ECONOMIC CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOST PROFITS OR SAVINGS), EVEN IF IBM, OR ITS RESELLER, HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
InstallGskit-Manual.zip InstallGskit-Manual-18.104.22.168.zip InstallGskit-Manual-22.214.171.124.zip com.ibm.rational.clearquest.nt_i386_7.1.2007.0000-7-1-2-07-00-2012B-D120613_SE.jar com.ibm.rational.clearquest.nt_i386_7.1.2012.0000-7-1-2-12-00-2013C-D130916_SE.jar
|Software Development||Rational RequisitePro||Installation||Windows||126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52|
|Software Development||Rational ClearCase||CCRC WAN Server||Windows||184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11|