Enabling (debug level) verbose logging for the BES Root Server and BES Relay services
Steps on how to enable verbose logging on the IEM server or relays to log for all operations performed by the BES Root Server and BES Relay service (BESRootServer.exe and BESRelay.exe) processes.
Resolving the problem
Take the following steps to enable (debug level) verbose logging on the main IEM server or relay to log for all operations performed by the BES Root Server or BES Relay service processes.
Verbose data is output to the \Program Files\BigFixEnterprise\BES Server\BESRelay.log file on the server and \Program Files\BigFixEnterprise\BES Relay\logfile.txt on a relay
The logging is enabled by creating a client setting.
Enabling logging through the IEM console:
1. Login to the console as a master console operator.
2. Right click on the IEM Server or relay computer in the console.
3. Select Edit Computer Settings....
4. Check in the list to see if the _BESRelay_Log_Verbose setting has already been created. If it has, Edit it and change its value to 1 (to enable it).
5. If the setting has not been created, click Add to create it. Enter _BESRelay_Log_Verbose for the setting name and 1 for the setting value to enable the verbose logging.
6. Click OK. An action named "Change Multiple Settings" is taken targeted at the IEM server or relay machine.
7. After the action has completed successfully (and the setting has been applied), restart the BES Root Server service if on the IEM server or restart the BES Relay service if on the relay. You can take action on Task # 447: Restart Service in the BES Support site to do this).
Enabling logging manually through the registry (Windows)
1. Remote into the main IEM server or relay machine.
2. Open up the registry editor (regedit)
3. Add the setting (_BESRelay_Log_Verbose) as a key to the client section of the registry:
4. Create a REG_SZ value named value.
5. Set the value to 1
6. Restart the BES Root Server service if on the server or the BES Relay service if on a relay.
Enabling logging manually through the settings file (Linux)
1. Remote into the relay endpoint and edit /var/opt/BESClient/besclient.config, and add the following lines:
effective date = [Enter Current Date Time In Standard Format]
value = 1
The effective current date time must be in a format similar to the following:
Wed, 06 Jun 2012 11:00:00 -0700
2. Stop and restart the relay service
Note: to disable verbose logging, set the setting to 0.
Warning: Leave the verbose logging on only as long enough to troubleshoot the issue you are having in order to conserve on disk space and processing resources.
Note: You may specify a file size at which the log begins rotation. Beginning in version 9.0, the size is 50*1024*1024 (52,428,800)
Value is in bytes
If this is non-zero, it is the file size at which the log begins rotation.
Also Note: A maximum of 10 rotated log files will be maintained in addition to the active log file. (Eg. logfile.txt, logfile.txt_0, logfile.txt_1, ..., logfile.txt_9.)
Translate this page: