Attempts to start IBM Rational Performance Tester (RPT) from an existing workspace result in the generic error "An error has occurred. See log file".
The workspace log file lists the inconsistencies of the workspace. You can no longer start RPT against that particular workspace.
The RPT workspace follows the Eclipse workspace structure. Therefore any RPT workspace contains a .metadata folder. As part of Eclipse technology, the workspace .metadata folder keeps information about the content of the projects within that workspace.
The workspace .metadata folder can become corrupt or out of sync in the following cases.
- If you delete project data manually.
- If you close a workspace abruptly. For example when javaw.exe or eclipse.exe stops responding.
The consequence is that you can not start RPT against that particular workspace anymore.
Resolving the problem
Force a rebuild of the .metadata folder. Consider the following steps.
- Exit RPT.
- Go to the impacted workspace location with your file manager utility.
- Remove the .metadata folder from underneath your workspace location or move it to another temporary folder.
- Open your workspace location again in RPT.
At this point, you do not see your projects yet, this is expected.
- Click File > Import > General > Existing projects into workspace
- Click Next
- Browse to the project folder under your workspace location and select it.
Do not pick Copy Project into Workspace, because the project is already located under the workspace there.
- Repeat steps 5 though 7 for each project.