Does IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software (RAD) provide support for Eclipse third party/open-source plugins and tools?
This is an example of the kind of error that may occur with a third party plugin.
Note: This technote is not intended to solve this specific error, only illustrate the issue.
Attempts to install Subclipse plugin for Subversion results in the following error:
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software currently installed: Shared profile 220.127.116.111668209035
Missing requirement: WTP Patches for
[1.2.5.v201109150410-7E79FICFBBoPbWQsbUQ1Vw]' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: Shared profile 18.104.22.1681668209035 (SharedProfile_bootProfile
There is no direct support for any third party or open source tool or plugin in Rational Application Developer 7.x or 8.x, that is not shipped or documented with the product.
The third party (or open source) plugin, if compatible with the version of Eclipse used in RAD, should be installed and used according to vendor (provider) instructions.
For open source or third party plugins, you must contact the provider for assistance; RAD support will not provide any usage or how-to or configuration or defect support for such plugins.
- If there is a problem installing the plugin in a RAD version, and it can be shown to install in a similar release and update of a stand-alone Eclipse version by following the provider instructions and after engaging the provider, then IBM RAD Support could look into this from the perspective of a suspected general plugin installation issue or a possible defect in the RAD-provided Eclipse.
- It is also required that the problem can be demonstrated on the latest maintenance release or refresh of RAD. The latest recommended fixes are documented in: Updates to Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software
You are advised to backup the <RAD Install dir>\<SDPnnn>\ eclipse.ini file and configuration\ folder before installing any third party plugins. This will assist with recovery if there are problems, short of re-installing RAD. Also, record into which folder the third party plugins/features/artifacts are installed.
Some assistance may be provided on a best effort basis, from the perspective of using RAD/Eclipse correctly in general.
Windows 7 and Windows Vista have more stringent UAC file system requirements. You are advised to start and run RAD using RC > Run as Administrator when installing any plugins or using RAD, even if this is an admin group id. This can be set permanently on a RAD icon on the desktop using RC on RAD icon > Properties : Compatibility tab and set the checkbox for Run As Administrator. The compatibility tab is displayed in the Properties of a program icon or program file; it is not available for files (.doc, .txt, .jpg, and so on). This resolved the one example in the above Cause section for one user. It may not resolve all similar scenarios.
RAD Eclipse Updates:
- RAD v7.5.x is based on Eclipse 3.4.2/Web Tools Project (WTP) 3.0.x plus bugzilla patches
- RAD v8.0.x is based on Eclipse 3.6.2.x/Web Tools Project (WTP) 3.2.4 plus bugzilla patches
- RAD v8.5.x is based on Eclipse 22.214.171.124+(with IBM added support for Java 7.0)/Web Tools Project (WTP) 3.2.5+ plus bugzilla patches
- RAD v9.0.x is based on Eclipse 4.2.2+/Web Tools Project (WTP) 3.4.2+ plus bugzilla patches
- RAD v9.1.x is based on Eclipse 126.96.36.199+/Web Tools Project (WTP) 3.4.2+ plus bugzilla patches
The above Eclipse/WTP version information can change with each RAD version refresh/update.
For detailed Eclipse update information refer to Eclipse Updates or Eclipse patches/fixes section (however it may be named) for each RAD Update version: v.r.m.f (such as RAD 188.8.131.52):
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software, Version 7.5 releases: new features and enhancements
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software, Version 8.0 releases: new features and enhancements
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software, Version 8.5: new features and enhancements
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software 9.0: new features and enhancements
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software 9.1.x: new features and enhancements
News regarding third party plug-ins in RAD:
RAD users with or considering 3rd party eclipse plug-ins, should find this Rational Community Blog item/initiative useful:
[Oct 31 2013] Extending IBM Rational Application Developer with 3rd Party Tools
Contact IBM RAD Support for support information in general for a specific third/party or open-source Eclipse plugin. IBM RAD has strived to improve accommodation for some plugins. The Related information section has specific plugin support technotes.