What is Agile Continuous Fix Stream support utility for IBM License Metric Tool/Tivoli Asset Discovery for Distributed fix releases?
What is Agile Continuous Fix Stream (ACFS)?
ACFS is a support utility for releasing changes to IBM License Metric Tool/Tivoli Asset Discovery for Distributed. It is an installation vehicle meant to deliver and install changes in short periods of time.
What will be the content of every change?
Every change (Fix Pack - FP or Interim Fix -iFix, IF) will contain already developed fixes as well as new functionalities or enhancements.
Will the content of the Fix Packs/Interim Fixes be cumulative?
Yes. While installing e.g. iFix 3 you will also install fixes/enhancements already available in iFix 1 and iFix 2.
How often new fixes/enhancements are expected?
They are planned to be delivered on the monthly basis.
What will be the form of the changes?
They will be divided into two separate packages according to the content of the change:
- server package for patching ILMT server e.g. 7.5.0-TIV-ILMT-TAD4D-IF0002-server-multi.zip
- self-update package for patching self-update functionality e.g. 7.5.0-TIV-ILMT-TAD4D-IF0002-self_update-multi.zip
How to properly update server and agents?
1. As to be able to connect to the server agents cannot be in higher version/release/fixpack/interim fix level than the server currently is.
2. Before installing self-update package the server package containing fixes with the same IF level as the self-update package should be installed first.
3. If you want to install a new agent you do not need to install the GA version first and then update it with IF package but you can make the whole installation with IF package only. It will install the agent with all the fixes in one step.
How to install the packages on server?
1. Copy the server package on the machine where administration server is installed.
2. Extract the content of the package to some folder e.g.:
In case of any problems, check if you meet all the prerequisites (section below).
4. Provide the path to product installation directory or simply press Enter to let the tool find it automatically.
5. When prompted, provide credentials for DB2 administrator ('db2inst1' by default)
6. When prompted, provide credentials for WAS administrator ('tipadmin' by default)
7. Repeat the steps 1-6 for the self-update package installation. Do not install the self-update package until the server package has been installed.
How to upgrade the agents?
Please refer to the following parts of LMT/TAD4D manual describing the steps that need to be followed as to upgrade the agents:
for version 7.2.2
for version 7.5
1. Java 1.6 (or higher) must be installed on the OS where ILMT administration server is installed
2. JAVA_HOME system variable must be set. If you do not have Java path specified in system variables, use the –javaHome option e.g:
> update.bat -javaHome "C:\Program Files\IBM\TIP\java\jre"
3. DB2 administrator must be used to authorize JDBC connection
You may perform the following steps if your company policy does not allow to use DB2 administrator’s credentials :
a) Run grant.sql script as DB2 administrator on the computer where DB2 is running. The script is located in the main directory of ACFS.
> db2 -vf grant.sql -td%
b) Provide tlmsrv as the DB2 user name.
c) After successful installation, revoke additional privileges from the tlmsrv user by running the script revoke.sql.
4. Installation of the latest Fix Pack available before installing Interim Fix
5. Having the DB2 used with ILMT/TAD4D at the minimum level of 9.1 fixpack 4
1. A running ILMT server will be restarted during patching. A stopped server will not be started.
2. ACFS needs only to be run on the administration server computer regardless of two-server or one-server topology of ILMT. If a database change is required as well, it will be performed via JDBC, locally or remotely.
3. ACFS is able to locate the right profile regardless of the type of WebSphere Application Server - eWAS and base WAS.
4. If you want to see all the available options of the update command, run it with the 'help' option, e.g.:
> update.bat –help
5. If you want to just list the contents of a package without installing it you can do so by running the update command with 'listContent' option, e.g.:
6. Starting from Interim Fix 6 for 7.2.2 and Interim Fix 3 for 7.5 there was added support for resuming the installation of a fix that failed while updating the database. The below pictures describe how the feature works:
a) The script output shows the description of a failure containing the original sql query which failed:
b) additional information added at the end of an output which informs of what should be done
in case of a failure
c) in case 1. when you decide to restore the database from backup you just run the script again and it reruns all the queries like it never did it before
d) if you decide to follow path 2 and just correct the problem which prevented the script from completing before and the run it again it will know to skip the queries which has been successfully run before:
e)when you run the script again despite it successfully updated the database before and no sql queries failed it just inform that it skips updating the database as it was already performed successfully with the before attempt:
7. It is highly recommended to make a database backup before running an update script
8. The logs are by default being put to the current directory from update.sh/bat script is being run. If you like to customize that by setting the other logging directory for the IF (like <Tivoli Common Dir>/COD as example) you can specify if by running a script with the optional switch:
-log <full_path_to_the_log_dir> like in the below example:
> update.bat -log 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Tivoli\common\COD\logs\install\trace'
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.