This technote contains questions and answers pertaining to installing and running IBM Lotus Notes on Apple's OS X 10.8.x Mountain Lion.
What versions of Lotus Notes are supported on Apple's OS X 10.8.x Mountain Lion?
Both a Notes 8.5.3 slipstream and Interim Fix 1 for Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 2 introduce support for OS X 10.8.x. The same support is included in Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 3 (released November 2012) and the same support will be included in all future Notes releases.
The updated installer will replace "Notes" in the Applications folder with "Lotus Notes". Refer to the bulleted points below to determine which package you will need to download and install.
- Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 3
Apply this Fix Pack if Notes 8.5.3 is already installed. The Fix Pack will detect, move, and rename Applications/Notes or Applications/Lotus Notes/Notes to Applications/Lotus Notes. The Fix Pack also installs required fixes for 10.8 compatibility. (Note: This Fix Pack has all the content of the previously released Interim Fix 1 for Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 2, plus additional important content.)
Fix Central IDDownload link & file nameNotes_853FP3_Standard_MAC
- Notes 8.5.3 slipstream
Apply this slipstream if you are installing Notes for the first time on a Mac OS X 10.8 workstation. If a previous version of Notes is installed, the 8.5.3 slipstream will uninstall it, and then reinstall the new 8.5.3 slipstream as Applications/Lotus Notes. After you install the slipstream, you must then install 8.5.3 Fix Pack 3 to install required fixes for 10.8 compatibility.
The Notes 8.5.3 slipstream can be downloaded from IBM Passport Advantage Online and Partner downloads under the part numbers listed below.
IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.3 MAC English fullCIBF8EN IBM Lotus Notes Client V8.5.3 for MAC Japanese and KoreanCICD7ML IBM Lotus Notes Client V8.5.3 for MAC French, Spanish and Brazilian PortugueseCICD8ML IBM Lotus Notes Client V8.5.3 for MAC Simplified Chinese and Traditional ChineseCICD6ML IBM Lotus Notes Client V8.5.3 for MAC Italian and GermanCICD9ML IBM Lotus Notes Client V8.5.3 for Mac Danish and DutchCICE0ML IBM Lotus Notes Client V8.5.3 for Mac Finnish, Norwegian and SwedishCICE1ML IBM Lotus Notes Client V8.5.3 for MAC Polish and RussianCICE2ML IBM Lotus Notes Client V8.5.3 for MAC PortugueseCICE3PT
IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.3 MAC English full EnglishCB8ITEN IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.3 MAC DVD GP1 Simplified Chinese
IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.3 MAC DVD GP2A Danish
IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.3 MAC DVD PL PT RU Polish
Are there any known issues?
- Symphony embedded with Notes: There is a known issue with embedded Symphony that can cause stability issues. IMPORTANT: It is recommended that you deselect Symphony during the 8.5.3 slipstream install. If Notes 8.5.3 with embedded Symphony is already installed, IBM recommends uninstalling 8.5.3 and re-installing with the Symphony option de-selected. Stand-alone Symphony for Mac can be downloaded and installed for free. (This issue is fixed in Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 3)
- Notes Basic:
Notes 8.5.3 slipstream is available only for the Notes Standard client. To inquire about availability of a slipstream for Notes Basic, open a service request with IBM Support.
- OR -
Install the Notes 8.5.3 slipstream (for the Notes Standard client). Then, after running Notes client setup add "UseBasicNotes=1" to the Notes Preferences file.
- Add-ons: Add-on packages for Notes 8.5.3 need to know about the new "Lotus Notes" name. Revised postings for add-ons from IBM, such as IBM Sametime, will be forthcoming. In the meantime, you can modify a property in the Add-on package as follows: Change the Addon_configuration.plist file under Contents/Resources directory of the add-on package by updating the target bundle property to Lotus Notes.
Will installing or uninstalling Lotus Notes affect the Apple Notes app?
OS X 10.8.x ships and installs an Apple Notes.app that has the same name as the Lotus Notes.app. The 8.5.3 slipstream has a new Notes uninstaller that will uninstall only IBM's Notes or Lotus Notes instead of Apple's Notes application. After downloading and expanding the 8.5.3 slipstream package, the uninstaller can be copied or used on older releases as needed.
The following issues are addressed in the 8.5.3 slipstream and Fix Pack 3, but are documented to show what would occur running the original 8.5.3 release:
- Running the Notes 8.5.3 uninstaller will uninstall the Apple Notes.app.
- Installing Notes 8.5.3 will overwrite the Apple Notes.app.
- Installing Notes 8.5.3 does a check for "Mac OS X..." but 10.8.x has dropped the 'Mac' and is only "OS X..." so this fails our version check in the install script.
How does the new Gatekeeper feature impact Notes?
OS X 10.8 introduces a new security feature called Gatekeeper, which is designed to ensure certain content downloaded via a browser is safe and signed with a valid Apple Developer ID. Notes 8.5.3 and earlier is not currently signed. The default behavior of OS X 10.8.x is to prevent unsigned installers downloaded via a browser from running. For install options for unsigned apps, refer to Apple Article ID HT5290 ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290). This issue will be addressed in a future Notes release.
Are there plans to support Notes on the new MacBook Pro with Retina display?
Support for MacBook Pro with Retina display is being evaluated for a future Notes release. Current Carbon APIs used in Notes 8.5.3 prevent us from supporting the MacBook Pro with Retina display in this release.
Notes companion products and 10.8:
-- Sametime 8.5.2 fix is available to support Mac 10.8 and Windows 8 (technote 1620223)