This topic describes how to publish an IBM Cognos Insight workspace to an IBM Cognos TM1 server configured in a multi-tier architecture. The Publish and Publish and Distribute options will place data on the same computer as the Cognos TM1 Application Server. If you want Cognos TM1 data on a data tier that is independent from the Cognos TM1 Application server, use the IBM Planning Service Archive option.
If the TM1 server is not installed on the same machine as the TM1 Application Server, users of the Publish or Publish and Distribute options will observe the following error message:
An exception occurred on the server. Please contact your System administrator. :java. lang.IllegalArgumentException: The file: \bin64\tm1s. exe does not exist.
The Publish and Publish and Distribute options make requests to the IBM Cognos TM1 Application server to start a new Cognos TM1 server. This request can only be fulfilled if the Cognos TM1 server is on the same computer as the Cognos TM1 Application server.
Multi-tier Cognos TM1 installation; Cognos Insight
Resolving the problem
To publish to a Cognos TM1 distributed installation:
- From the actions menu, click Publish. A wizard appears to guide you through the publishing process.
- On the first page of the wizard, click IBM Planning Service Archive in the lower left of the wizard.
- Specify the information requested, including the destination directory, application name, and control dimension information, and finish the steps in the wizard.
The destination directory will contain two ZIP files that are named according to the application name you specified:
- Move the application_name.data.zip file to the Cognos TM1 server.
- Move the application_name.zip file to the Cognos TM1 Application server.
- On the Cognos TM1 server, unzip the application_name.data.zip to a directory that will contain the Cognos TM1 data files.
- Add a subdirectory named tunit.
- Find and edit the tm1s.cfg file to include the following properties:
Note: When you install a Cognos TM1 server, the default port number is 12345. Valid port values are between 5000 and 49151.
The security mode can be changed later if you are using CAM security. You can then specify values for ServerCAMURI and ClientCAMURI. The following default values are used for CAM authentication:
- Specify values for the following properties:
- Replace server_name with the name of the application that is specified when publishing.
- Add a new Cognos TM1 Server Instance in IBM Cognos Configuration, and then start the new service.
Tip: You can also start the Cognos TM1 server by launching tm1s.exe or tm1sd.exe from the Cognos_TM1_installation_location/bin folder.
- Use Cognos TM1 Architect to set up the security on the new server. The logon username for the new Cognos TM1 server is admin and the password is blank. You should set an admin password as soon as possible to secure the server.
- Save the security changes.
- In the Cognos TM1 Applications portal, go to the IBM Cognos TM1 Application Configuration page and add the Cognos TM1 server.
- Click Import Applications to import the application.
- On the Import Application page, specify the Cognos TM1 server that was created, and browse to the location of the application_name.zip file. (If using TM1 10.1 and there is an error during application import, create a webapps/pmpsvc/desktop folder if it does not exist in the IBM Cognos TM1 Application server install).
When the application is imported, you can start it and use it. You can then use the Connect to TM1 option in Cognos Insight to connect to the application, and you can use the Publish and Publish and Distribute options.