IBM Support Assistant Lite for Rational Developer for Power Systems Software
This document describes how to use the IBM Support Assistant Lite (ISA Lite) for IBM Rational Developer for Power Systems Software product. IBM Support Assistant Lite is a tool that provides an automated way for user to gather initial data needed for the Rational support team to analyze problems relating to the Rational Developer for Power Systems Software product.
ISA Lite for Rational Power Systems Software is a customized subset of the IBM Support Assistant Workbench that provides automated data collection capability specific for Rational Developer for Power Systems Software. If you do not have IBM Support Assistant Workbench installed and need to provide information for our support team, you can use this to quickly gather information needed for troubleshooting.
ISA Lite is currently available for the following versions of Rational Developer for Power Systems Software (RDp):
- RDp 8.5.0
Two data collectors are now available as part of this delivery.
- Installation Manager Collector. Use this collector for general installation related issue on products that leverages IBM Installation Manager. This collector is included in this package, but description are documented here: Installation Manager Collector
- Client Workspace Collector. Use this data collector to provide your RDp workspace for our support team. Details: Client Workspace Collector
Details & walk thru for each data collectors are documented below.
- You need an IBM ID and password to download ISA Lite. Register here if you do not already have one.
- You need Java JRE 1.4.2 or greater on your machine to run ISA Lite. A valid JDK is available if you have Installation Manager, or any Rational eclipse based product installed on your system. Some common locations:
- <Installation Manager Install Location>\eclipse\jre_5.0.4.sr11_20091106a\jre
- <RationalSDLC location>\jdk\jre
Downloading and Launching ISALite
- Download "IBM Support Assistant Lite for Rational Developer for Power System Software from: https://www.ibm.com/services/forms/preLogin.do?source=swg-isalite&S_PKG=isal4rdp
- Extract the .zip file in a folder.
- If your platform does not have unzip utility, you can use jar to unzip file. Example: jar xf ISALiteforRDp_8.5_20120529.zip
- In the same folder, cd ISALite
- If Java is available in your path , simply run: runISALite.bat
- If Java is not available on your path, ISA Lite will prompt you for the path. You can also set JAVA_HOME first:
- set JAVA_HOME=<your full path to Java> This path should point to the bin directory in your Java installation, containing java.exe.
- Example: set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP_RDp85\jdk\jre
- Once this is completed, run: runISALite.bat or runISALite.bat -console to run in console mode.
Using ISA Lite (non-console mode)
Once you've launched ISA Lite:
- Select a collector to run that fits your needs. Overview of collector is listed in the above section.
- Fill in the Filename field.
- Click the Collect Data button to start data collection.
- (Optional) Click on "Show execution details" to see the collector execution details.
- When finished, simply close the window.
You can check the " Show execution details" box on ISALite to view the detailed collector execution.
Using ISA Lite (silent mode)
To automate ISA collection and/or to run silently, please review the following two documents that discuss performing a silent recording, and a silent playback via command line:
see section : Using ISA Lite for Remote Collection, starting at "To further simplify ..."
Using this technique you can record an ISA Lite execution, and subsequently playback via command line silently.
Details: Client Workspace Collector
Use this data collector to provide your RDp workspace for our support team. It is recommended that you exit your target workspace so that all data can be gathered.
Description /RDp/WORKSPACE/<selected> *.* All contents of a selected workspace excluding .lock & .lck files. Files that cannot be accessed by the collection tool will be skipped. /autopdzip/autopd *.* Version and execution output from about the ISA Lite tool. This includes system inventory
Walk Through of "Client Workspace Collector"
After you've selected your workspace, the tool prompts you to close your workspace if it is currently in use. This will help prevent issues with possible lock files.
Select 'OK' to continue.
The collector will run to completion and request feedback and ftp options.
Please continue to Data Collector Completion Options & Uploads for additional information.
Data Collector Completion Options & Uploads
When the collector is completed, it will request feedback about ISA. Select Yes, to provide feedback. Select No to continue.
You'll also be provided with data upload options. This will allow you to send the collected data to IBM or another location via FTP or HTTPS.
IMPORTANT: To upload information to IBM, you'll need to have a PMR number. This is obtained when you work with our support team. If you do not have a PMR number, but do have support contract, you can leverage the Software Support page to open a service request and included the collected data with the service request.
IBM Service Request Page: https://www.ibm.com/support/servicerequest/
The upload options are:
- Send the Logs to IBM using secure transfer (HTTPS). You'll need an PMR number to transfer the data to IBM. This sends the collected data to IBM Support team through the HTTPS protocol.
- FTP the Logs to IBM Support (unencrypted). You'll need an PMR number to transfer the data to IBM. This sends the collected data to IBM Support team through the FTP protocol. This is a less secure option.
- FTP the Logs to a Different Location (unencrypted) This allows you to send the collected data to another location via FTP. You'll need to provide the target FTP location and appropriate authentication to access it.
- Do Not FTP the Logs. Do nothing.
Click OK to continue. If you choose options other than 4 above, you will need to fill in additional information required to complete the upload.
When the collector completes, the .zip file is created at the location specified in Output File name. You can use any unzip tool to extract the files to examine the content of collected data.
More support for:
Rational Developer for Power Systems Software
Software version: 8.5
Operating system(s): Linux, Windows
Reference #: 1599221
Modified date: 20 June 2012