When restarting your computer the "Ignore other applications that use dynamic data exchange (DDE)" option outside of IBM Cognos Financial Statement Reporting is enabled. This issue can occur when forcing FSR to shut down. This also forces the Excel process to shutdown thus saving the options set inside them.
When restarting your computer the "Ignore other applications that use dynamic data exchange (DDE)" option outside of FSR is enabled.
This feature relates to designed Office functionality. In order to segregate the Word/Excel process, this option has to be enabled. This is done to prevent the scenario where if users open documents (Word/Excel) outside of FSR, it initializes a new process rather than using the same processes FSR uses.
If FSR is shutdown normally, the application will un-check that option. When a crash or unexpected shut-down of FSR occurs this option will need to be manually un-checked.
FSR 6.5 up to the latest FSR version.
Diagnosing the problem
Open an Excel file outside of FSR;
- The file will not open and you will receive the following error message: "There was a problem sending the command to the program."
Resolving the problem
Before shutting down the computer please ensure that the IBM Cognos Financial Statement Reporting application is closed.
If the application crashed please perform the following steps:
1. Open Excel outside of FSR;
2. Go to File>Excel Options;
3. Select Advanced;
3. Under the General section you can find Ignore Other Applications That Use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) option;
4. Deselect it and close Excel.