WebSphere Voice Response VRBE environment might hang after applying AIX maintenance
There is a known Java Application hang condition in the following AIX maintenance levels:
- AIX 5.3 TL12 SP3 and SP4 (bos.rte.libpthreads 22.214.171.124)
- AIX 6.1 TL5 SP5 and SP6 (bos.rte.libpthreads 126.96.36.199)
- AIX 6.1 TL6 SP4 and SP5 (bos.rte.libpthreads 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206)
The problem has been seen to manifest itself on a WVR 4.2 system using Java 1.4.2 as the following:
- VRBE nodes failing to start.
- VRBE applications not answering incoming calls.
- dtjqapps and dtjqnode commands do not complete.
- no javacore generated if a kill -3" is sent to the VRBE Java processes.
However, any apparent hang in the VRBE environment could be a result of this problem.
The problem is addressed by the following two AIX APARs:
The AIX 5.3 fix has not been released as a generally available PTF but can be obtained by customers who have extended support for AIX 5.3.
The problem can also be fixed by using Java 5 instead of Java 1.4.2.