Preventive Service Planning
This document describes the recommended strategy and steps for applying maintenance updates to IBM Connections 188.8.131.52.
Table of Contents:
- Section 1 - General Information
- Section 2 - Customization and product modifications
- Section 3 - List of CR fixes
- Section 4 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
- Section 5 - Important Notes
Section 1 - General Information
Updates for IBM Connections 184.108.40.206 are delivered via interim fixes called "Cumulative Refresh" (CR).
Cumulative Refreshes (CRs) consists of a set of cumulative fixes for each of IBM Connections applications. Each applications EAR is installed and deployed. This will update the whole application.
The CR includes multiple code changes, bundled into a single package and verified together following IBM's interim fix delivery process.
We recommend customers to apply the latest set of CR fixes as it becomes available. This ensures that all the applications in the IBM Connections environment are at the latest version. This in turn prevents the occurrence of known issues in your environment, increasing stability and minimizing downtime. It also helps expedite the resolution of newly reported issues.
It is important to backup customizations and product modifications made to the application prior to applying a set of CR interim fixes. Please refer to this page in the product documentation for details:
Section 2 - Customization and product modifications
Customization changes to IBM Connections should be performed in accordance to the product documentation. Please review the "Customizing the user interface" topic in the product documentation for details. Most customizations that you make to product files are stored in the customization directory. These include:
1. Changes to any static file, like images, CSS, HTML and text files.
2. Changes to "real" files, that is, files that are not generated at runtime and get served directly to the browser.
3. Changes to JSP files using a standard include request, <jsp:include page="myjspfragment.jspf" .../> and <c:import url= myjspfragment.jspf/>.
There is a set of files that cannot be customized using the customization directory stated in the product documentation. Please review this list of customizable objects, which cannot be customized using the customization directory:
1. Changes to JSP files using the JSP include directive. For example: <%@ include file="myjspfragment.jspf"%>.
2. Changes to files within a Java Archive (JAR) file. For example: adding custom strings to the ui.properties file in the lc.profiles.web.app-3.0.jar archive in order to customize error messages for field validation.
3. Changes to Java classes (Java class files).
4. Changes to TAG files. These are used in Communities and Forums.
5. Changes to TLD files.
6. Changes to most XML configuration files within the WEB-INF directory. This includes web.xml.
IBM support recommends that customization changes be made only within the customization directory. Changes that cannot be made using the customization directory are known as product modifications.
Product modifications refer to changes made to IBM Connections product files directly in the product installation directories (for example, within an application directory). These changes will be overwritten by fixes applied to the product. These changes must be backed up prior to the application of product fixes and then merged into the installed product files. They should also be properly documented by the customer, to have a record of the changes made and quickly determine if something needs to be merged into the updated product files. By default the application directories are located at this path:
This is a sample path in Microsoft Windows for the Activities application installed in the default location:
To properly update files, please follow the methods outlined in these 2 documents, which are applicable to version 220.127.116.11:
- What is the recommended method of updating a single product file on IBM Connections 3.0.1?
- What is the recommended method of updating multiple product files on IBM Connections 3.0.1?
Keep in mind that depending on the extent of the file modifications made by the user and the extent of the changes done by IBM to said files, it may be necessary for the system administrators to work with their own development team to resolve merge issues.
In addition to customizing the user interface, you may have also created custom security role mappings in the WebSphere Application Server Integrated Solutions Console for one or more of the IBM Connections applications. These custom security roles will need to be re-mapped.
Section 3 - List of CR fixes
Fix list for IBM Connections 18.104.22.168 CR3 (Released February 13, 2013)
Fix list for IBM Connections 22.214.171.124 CR2 (Released July 24, 2012)
Fix list for IBM Connections 126.96.36.199 CR1 (Released May 16, 2012)
Note: The latest version of the update installer is required to apply the CR interim fixes. Please see the information in step #1 of the Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates section to learn how to obtain the latest version of the update installer.
Review the product documentation for information on Updating IBM Connections 3.0.1, which is applicable to version 188.8.131.52.
Section 4 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
Note: These instructions are a summary of the procedure. They are intended to complement the product documentation pages on installing interim fixes. Please review the links provided above for more details.
1. Download the latest version of the update installer. The latest version of the update installer is available from Fix Central: Download Update Installer 3.0.1.x-IC-Multi-UPDI-20120619
2. Download the latest set of CR updates. The latest set of CR updates are on Fix Central. Please select and download the complete set listed in the table above.
3. Replace the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory. For example, if you have IBM Connections installed in C:\IBM\LotusConnections, then the update installer must be in C:\IBM\LotusConnections\updateInstaller. Rename or move the existing directory, then extract the archive containing the latest update installer version from step #2 above.
4. Extract each ZIP archive (one per application) and copy all the extracted JAR files (one JAR per CR update) to the fixes directory inside the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory. For example, if you have IBM Connections installed in C:\IBM\LotusConnections, then the update installer must be in C:\IBM\LotusConnections\updateInstaller and the fix JAR files must be within the C:\IBM\LotusConnections\updateInstaller\fixes directory.
5. If applying the CR interim fixes to a clustered environment, ensure the WebSphere® Application Server Deployment Manager is started.
6. Run the update installer and follow the instructions to apply all fixes.
If using the Update Installer's graphic user interface (GUI) to apply the fixes: Ensure the directory for the fix location matches the exact location of the fixes directory inside the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory. Otherwise, the installer will not find the fixes.
If using the silent install option, you will need to specify the parameter "featureCustomizationBackedUp" and set the value to "yes", to indicate that you have backed up any customization done to the base product, or no, to indicate that customization was not done and there is no need for a back up.
Silent install example:
|./updateSilent.sh -fix -installDir /opt/ibm/dmgr/websphere/AppServer/LotusConnections -fixDir /opt/ibm/dmgr/websphere/AppServer/LotusConnections/updateinstaller/fixes -install -fixes LO68406 -wasUserId myadminuser -wasPassword mypassword -featureCustomizationBackedUp yes|
7. Start all nodes and perform a full synchronization to push the update to all nodes.
Section 5 - Important Notes
1. Please review these technotes before applying CR updated to your environment:
Optional administrative steps to be applied before APAR LO67363 in 184.108.40.206 CR1 or higher
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.