ILE RPG Outline limitations with "Update the Outline view when text is changed in the editor" preference
When the "Update the Outline view when text is changed in the editor" preference is selected, there are some limitations of the ILE RPG Outline view.
In version 8.5, the following types of statements do not have their information included in the Outline view when the preference is selected:
- SQL statements [Fixed in 8.5.1]
- I spec statements [Fixed in 8.5.1]
- O spec statements
In addition, there are differences in the content in the Outline view when the preference is selected:
- references to conditioning and level indicators are not included
- references for DEFINE opcode with *LIKE factor 1 are not included
- incorrect data structure length shown when using LIKE on a data structure using OVERLAY
- (M) and (D) attributes on references do not match in all cases
- whether external fields appear in upper or lower case does not match how it is first referenced [Fixed in 9.0]
- attribute information on fields does not match in all cases
- incorrect length shown when using OVERLAY(field:%BIF())
- compile-time expressions as keyword parameters are not recognized. For example the value of CONST(%LEN(fld1)) will not be reflected in the outline view.
Note: only files with standard ILE RPG file extensions work with the preference selected. [Fixed in 8.5.1]
Note: with the preference enabled, the Refresh button is still used to update the external file information and to update the information used by the content-assist function in the editor (Ctrl+Space). [Fixed in 8.5.1 for content-assist function]
Resolving the problem
Limitations of the ILE RPG Outline view when the "Update the Outline view when text is changed in the editor" preference is selected will be resolved in the future.
If you deselect the preference, the Outline view will revert to the previous behaviour. Source in the editor will have to be closed and re-opened for the preference to take affect.
With version 8.5.1, the following changes are available when the preference is selected:
- SQL and I spec statements' information is included in the Outline view
- non-standard ILE RPG file extensions work
- Content assist information is updated automatically except for external information. For external information to be updated, the Refresh button must be pressed.
With Rational Developer for i 9.0, the following changes are available when the preference is selected:
- external fields appear in upper or lower case depending how it is first referenced
|Software Development||Rational Developer for i||General Information||9.0, 22.214.171.124, 9.0.1, 9.1|
More support for:
Rational Developer for Power Systems Software
RPG and COBOL Development Tools for i
Software version: 8.5, 8.5.1
Operating system(s): Linux, Windows
Reference #: 1592728
Modified date: 2014-11-18