IBM Tivoli Monitoring Agent for i5/OS job may not end normally
The Tivoli Monitoring Agent for i5/OS job may not end normally when RAS1 trace is enabled.
When RAS1 logging is enabled, the Tivoli Monitoring Agent for i5/OS (referred to as the Agent hear after) may not end gracefully when it is stopped. When this condition happens, the Agent job CT_AGENT ends abnormally after 10 minutes with the automatic execution of ENDJOBABN system command by the i5/OS or IBM i system. In some cases, it is required to execute ENDJOBABN system command to manually end the CT_AGENT job after waiting for 10 minutes.
This can happen with the basic trace setting of KBB_RAS1=ERROR. The problem is more severe if extended trace similar to KBB_RAS1=ERROR (UNIT:KA4 ALL) (UNIT:KRA ALL) enabled and data collection for many attributes is enabled. The data collection can be because of the situations and historical data collection that has been configured and distributed to the agent.
Diagnosing the problem
1. Update the trace parameter KBB_RAS1 to KBB_RAS1=NONE in QAUTOTMP/KMSPARM (KBBENV) file. Comment any other KBB_RAS1 lines by adding * at the beginning of the line.
2. Stop and start the Agent.
3. End the Agent using option 3 of GO OMA menu. QAUTOMON/ENDOMA command can also be used to end the Agent.
4. Verify if the Agent job ended normally or abnormally.
5. If the Agent ended normally, the problem documented in this technote is applicable.
Resolving the problem
This is a known issue with permanent restrictions in the current Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring Agent(TEMA) code. This is documented using the Doc APAR IV15081(TEBS: UNIT AND FILTER LIMITS TO RAS1 TRACE).
The APAR documentation http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IV15081 provides more details on this issue. Two work arounds documented in this APAR.
More support for:
IBM Tivoli Monitoring V6
ITM Agent iSeries V6
Software version: 6.1, 6.1.2, 6.2, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 6.2.3, 18.104.22.168
Operating system(s): IBM i
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 1592593
Modified date: 10 May 2013