In IBM Rational Performance Tester (RPT) version 8.2.1, the ability to follow an unexpected 30x redirect type response was added resulting in an unexpected redirect when accessing a server farm or some WPLC applications.
An unexpected redirect might occur when accessing a server farm or in some WPLC applications using RPT. When you record tests, you typically receive 200 OK type responses, but upon playback, that same request might receive a "302 Redirect" type response instead. In RPT version 8.2.1 and later, the request is reissued to the location specified in the 302 response.
This issue was identified as a product defect.
Resolving the problem
In Rational Performance Tester Fix Pack 3 (126.96.36.199) for 8.2.1, a change was made to correct this action and enhance the VP action for this situation.
- No VPs will be processed for "Unexpected" 30x responses except for the ResponseCode VP (action described below.)
- All verification points (including ResponseCode VP) will be applied to the last response in the redirect chain.
Note: Usually there is one unexpected 30x redirect that goes to the new destination, but RPT accepts redirects to redirects, that finally end up at the new location.
This ensures that VPs continue to act as expected, with the additional ability of an unexpected redirect to pass a relaxed ResponseCode VP.
Rules for ResponseCode VP:
- VP is relaxed and expected code is in the set: 200,201,202,204,206,301,302,304
- Redirect occurs: VP passes if final response is in the set above. Fails otherwise.
- No redirect: VP passes if response is in the set above. Fails otherwise.
- VP is exact and expected code is ZZZ or VP is relaxed and expected code ZZZ is not one of 200,201,202,204,206,301,302,304
- Redirect occurs: VP fails
- No redirect: VP passes if response is ZZZ, fails otherwise