Resetting access to a NSC when you lost password for all user accounts
security controller; active bypass; password
How do you reset access to the Network Security Controller when you lost the passwords for all user accounts?
- This procedure will not only reset the administrator password, but it will also reset the appliance to factory defaults removing your existing configuration.
- For instructions on password recovery on the Network Active Bypass (NAB), see Technote 1437286: Lost password recovery procedure on the Network Active Bypass.
- Connect a serial cable from your system to the Proventia Network Security Controller.
- Use a terminal emulator to open a connection across your serial port with the following settings:
Bits per second: 115,200
Data bits: 8
Flow Control: None
- Press Enter. You should now see a login prompt from the appliance. If you do not, verify that the appliance is plugged in and that the serial cable is properly connected.
- To prevent the possibility of malicious users from accessing the appliance while it is still in an unconfigured state, disconnect the appliance's management port from the network.
- Unplug both power cables leading to the appliance, then plug them back in.
- On the serial console, you should see output similar to the following:
U-Boot 1.1.1 (Development build, svnversion: u-boot:exported, exec:exported)
As soon as you see this line displayed, press Ctrl-C to interrupt the boot process. You should see several more lines of output, followed by:
- Type the following command to boot into recovery mode:
You will then see a burst of messages as the Linux kernel boots, ending with:
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
- Type the following commands to rename the configuration database:
mv /flash/db.conf /flash/db.conf.old
- Once again, unplug both power cables leading to the appliance, then plug them back in.
When the appliance finishes booting, it will be running the factory default configuration with the default administrator password of admin.
For more information on the Proventia Network Security Controller, see the User Guide.
Translate this page: