If you have lost the passwords for all the user accounts on the Network Active Bypass (PNAB) appliance or the Proventia Network Security Contoller (PNSC) appliance, how can you reset access to the system?
Technote 1437274 - Tips and known issues for Proventia Network Active Bypass
NOTE: This procedure will not only reset the administrator password, but will also reset the appliance to factory defaults.
To reset the password, you must utilize the serial console connection:
1. Connect a serial cable from your workstation to the Proventia Network Security Controller or Proventia Network Active Bypass, hereafter referred to as the appliance.
2. Use a terminal emulator to open a connection across your serial port with these settings:
Bits per second: 115,200
Data bits: 8
Flow Control: None
3. Hit Enter. You should now see a login prompt from the appliance. If you do not, please verify that the appliance is plugged in, and that the serial cable is properly connected.
4. To prevent the possibility of malicious users from accessing the appliance while it is still in an unconfigured state, disconnect the appliance's management port from the network.
5. Unplug both power cables leading to the appliance, then plug them back in.
6. On the serial console, you should see output similar to the following:
U-Boot 1.1.1 (Development build, svnversion: u-boot:exported, exec:exported)
As soon as you see this line displayed, press Enter to interrupt the boot process. You should see several more lines of output, followed by:
7. Type the following command to boot into recovery mode:
You will then see a burst of messages as the Linux kernel boots, ending with:
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
8. Type the following commands to rename the configuration database:
mv /flash/db.conf /flash/db.conf.old
9. Once again, unplug both power cables leading to the appliance, then plug them back in.
When the appliance finishes booting, it will be running the factory default configuration with the default administrator password admin.
If the above information does not resolve your issue, please contact IBM Security Systems Technical Support.
|Security||Proventia Network Security Controller||Firmware||1.0|