"An error has occurred: 0x80004005 Unspecified error" when running "aspnet_regiis /i" to register ASP.NET
I.T. admin is preparing the application server, ready for installing Controller. As part of that, the admin tries to register ASP.NET 2.0.
To perform this, the admin clicks "Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt" and then uses the 'cd' command to change to the following folder: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727.
Admin runs the following command: aspnet_regiis /i
An error occurs.
ASP.NET setup custom actions
ASP.NET setup custom actions has stopped working
Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.
-> Check online fora solution and close the program
-> Close the program
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: aspnetca.exe
Exception Code: c0000005
Inside Command Prompt:
An error has occurred: 0x80004005 Unspecified error
Microsoft User Account Control (UAC) blocking the user from having the required privileges to register ASP.NET.
Windows 2008 R2 64-bit
Resolving the problem
- Disable UAC, reboot the application server, and repeat the task
- or Run the command prompt as administrator
Steps to disable UAC:
- Logon to the application server
- Click "Start - Settings - Control Panel"
- Click "User Accounts- User Accounts"
- Click "Change User Account Control settings"
- Change slider setting to "Never notify"
- Click OK
- IMPORTANT: Afterwards, reboot the application server (for the UAC to take effect)
Steps to run command prompt as administrator:
- Click "Start - Programs - Accessories"
- Right-click on "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as Administrator"
- Perform task.