How do I download, install, and run IBM® Prerequisite Scanner for IBM Tivoli® Provisioning Manager Version 7.2.1?
Prerequisite Scanner is a stand-alone prerequisite checking tool that analyzes system environments before the installation or upgrade of a Tivoli® product or IBM solution. Tivoli Provisioning Manager uses this tool to check the target environment for Tivoli Provisioning Manager prerequisites.
This FAQ applies to the Prerequisite Scanner Version 220.127.116.11 and to all subsequent releases, modifications, and service refreshes, until otherwise indicated in a new Prerequisite Scanner Download document or Tivoli Provisioning Manager Version 7.2.1 Technote.
Prerequisite Scanner installation packages
There are two separate Prerequisite Scanner packages available to download from IBM Fix Central to support Windows and UNIX platforms.
- The Windows package (version_num-Tivoli-PRS-Windows-fp0001.zip) supports different Windows platforms.
- The UNIX package (version_num-Tivoli-PRS-Unix-fp0001.tar.gz) supports the AIX®, HP-UX, Linux, Linux for System z®, and Solaris platforms.
For example, the Windows package name for Prerequisite Scanner Version 18.104.22.168 is 22.214.171.124-Tivoli-PRS-Windows-fp0001.zip.
When you extract the contents of the compressed file, the core files are in the root directory, such as the Prerequisite Scanner script and the product code configuration file. The root directory is referred to as the ips_root directory. It also has the following subdirectories:
- /api contains the Java™ Development Kit to support using the Prerequisite Scanner Java API
- /lib contains the collectors and common scripts
- /licenses contains the Prerequisite Scanner license files
- /Windows contains the evaluators and configuration files for Windows platforms
- /UNIX_Linux for the evaluators and configuration files on UNIX platforms
- /xml contains examples of result XML files to support using the Prerequisite Scanner Java API
Each package contains a README.html file that outlines what’s new in the release, new or modified prerequisite properties, new or modified configuration files, and any deprecated features. It also contains the lists of closed defects and known issues.
Note: Previous releases of Prerequisite Scanner had a Documentation subdirectory that contained the PDF file for the Prerequisite Scanner User's Guide. This subdirectory has been removed since Version 1.2. A Quick Start Guide is also available for download. To obtain the Quick Start Guide in different languages, access the PDF files from the Translated IBM Prerequisite Scanner Version 126.96.36.199 Quick Start Guide document. For the tool’s full documentation, see the Prerequisite Scanner page at Tivoli® Documentation Central.
Prerequisite Scanner supports all hardware and operating systems of the specified product or IBM solution for which you are running Prerequisite Scanner.
Ensure that you have the following utilities installed or enabled in the target environments.
You can extract the contents of the compressed file for IBM Prerequisite Scanner. You must have write permissions to the root directory in which you extract the contents of the compressed file.
Ensure that you have sufficient disk space to run Prerequisite Scanner. When you run the tool, it checks whether there is sufficient disk space and exits if there is insufficient disk space. See Prerequisite Scanner prerequisites.
- Open your web browser. Ensure that you sign into IBM.com or IBM Support Portal; enter one of the following URLs:
- Fix Central landing page
Follow the online instructions to use the filter drop-down lists and display the current version of the Prerequisite Scanner package for your platform. See step 2.
- Fix Central page prefiltered to display the current version of the Prerequisite Scanner packages for all platforms
You can choose which packages to download on the Select fixes page. See step 8.
- Fix Central landing page
- From the Product Group list, select Tivoli.
- From the Select from Tivoli list, select Prerequisite Scanner.
- From the Installed Version list, select the current version of Prerequisite Scanner to install.
- From the Platform list, select the platform on which you want to install Prerequisite Scanner.
- Click Continue. The Identify Fixes page opens.
- Use the default option, Browse for fixes; click Continue.
- On the Select fixes page, select the package; click Continue.
Note: If you have not yet signed into IBM.com, you are now prompted to sign in or register.
- On the Download option page, select one of the following download options; click Continue.
- Download using Download Director
- Download using your browser
- Review the terms and conditions, and click I agree.
- Follow the online instructions for your chosen download option, and download the Prerequisite Scanner package.
- Extract the contents of the compressed files to your preferred location, as specified by ips_root.
Running Prerequisite ScannerYou can use a command-line interface to run Prerequisite Scanner. The Prerequisite Scanner script, prereq_checker, takes a set of required and optional parameters and a command flag for additional optional parameters.
The script requires individual product codes to identify the product or component against which to run the prerequisite checks. The product code for Tivoli Provisioning Manager is TPM.
- Ensure that you check your product’s installation documentation or Technotes for any additional steps that must be performed before running Prerequisite Scanner.
- Open a command window and change to the ips_root directory.
- Run the Prerequisite Scanner script file, prereq_checker, with the relevant parameters. For example, to display the detailed results in the command window including the results for each prerequisite property, enter the following command:
./prereq_checker.sh "TPM 07210000" detail
For the full list of parameters, see the prereq_checker topic in the Prerequisite Scanner Version 188.8.131.52 Information Center.
The tool outputs the result.txt file and precheck.log files to the following locations:
- On Windows systems: D:\temp\ips where TEMP is environment variable for the temporary folder.
- On UNIX systems: /tmp/ips
Reading Prerequisite Scanner results
Possible results from running Prerequisite Scanner on the target computer are as follows:
If the target computer does not meet any of the prerequisite checks, as specified by the values for the prerequisite properties in the TPM_07210000.cfg configuration file, Prerequisite Scanner returns an overall FAIL result for the environment. The tool also displays the scan results for the individual prerequisite properties in the command-line window.If Prerequisite Scanner returns this result, take the appropriate actions; for example, install the missing operating system packages, increase disk space for the file systems, or modify the configuration settings of the target environment to match the expected values in the scan results.
If the target computer meet all prerequisite checks in the configuration file, Prerequisite Scanner returns an overall PASS result for the environment. If Prerequisite Scanner returns an overall PASS result for the environment, you can install Tivoli Provisioning Manager on the target computer.
In the ALL SPECIFIED COMPONENTS section of the output, Prerequisite Scanner displays the aggregated disk space of the file systems for the following prerequisite properties:
However, if opt, usr, and var have not been defined as file systems on the target computer, Prerequisite Scanner does not display the expected values for them. However, it includes their disk space values in the aggregation calculation of their parent disk system, for example, the root file system. The tool displays the aggregate for that parent file system and scan result in the ALL SPECIFIED COMPONENTS section.
Customers can contact IBM Support should they require assistance on the products that IBM Prerequisite Scanner supports. To ensure that the request is routed correctly, all PMRs must be reported against the product being scanned.
- Go to IBM Prerequisite Scanner page on the IBM Support Portal.
- Go to the IBM Prerequisite Scanner Transparent Development community on Service Management Connect.
|Systems and Asset Management||IBM Prerequisite Scanner||Windows, AIX, HP-UX, IBM i, Linux, Solaris||1.1|