In IBM Rational Application Developer, attempts to send product diagnostic data may result in an increase in network resource utilization that might negatively impact the performance of the product.
Resolving the problem
When an error occurs in the product, a diagnostic report is generated that can be sent to a centralized FTP server at IBM® for analysis. The report is sent by clicking 'Send Error Report' in the error dialog box. When the feedback service sends the data, it can unexpectedly make a large number of FTP requests and cause a surge in network resource utilization that can negatively impact the performance of the product.
This problem affects the following products:
- IBM® Rational® Application Developer for WebSphere® Software versions 7.5 and 8.0 (all releases)
- IBM Rational Application Developer Standard Edition for WebSphere versions 7.5 and 8.0 (all releases)
There is no work-around for this problem for all 7.5.x product versions. For 8.0.x product versions the following work-around can be applied:
- Click Window > Preferences > General > Product Feedback
- Select Never send any data
- Click OK
A fix for this problem is available for all 7.5.x product versions.
You can download and install the fix from directly from IBM using IBM Installation Manager.
You can also download the fix for local installation from IBM Fix Central at the following URL:
To install the fix, see the Installation Instructions that follow:
- IBM Installation Manager v1.4.1 or later
Installation Instructions using Installation Manager
- Start IBM Installation Manager.
- On the Start page of Installation Manager, click Update.
- If a new version of Installation Manager is found, you are prompted to confirm that you want to install it before you can continue. Click OK to proceed. Installation Manager automatically installs the new version, stops, restarts, and resumes.
- In the Update packages wizard, select the Installed Location for your Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software installation and click Next. Installation Manager searches for updates in the Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software repository on the Web, as well as any repository locations that you entered. A progress indicator shows the search is taking place.
- By default, recommended updates are displayed and selected on the Update Packages page. If you do not want to upgrade to the latest recommended version then un-select the option Show recommended only.
- For IBM Installation Manager version 1.4.x: Clear any selected versions and click Next.
- For IBM Installation Manager version 1.5.x: Select the option Only fixes for version your product version and click Next.
- The Update Packages page is refreshed to show the fix available, PM53336, for your product version and is selected by default as a recommended fix. Click Next.
- On the Summary page, review information displayed, and then click Update. A progress indicator shows the percentage of the installation completed.
- When the update process completes, a message that confirms the success of the process is displayed near the top of the page. Click View log file to open the log file for the current session in a new window. You must close the Installation Log window to continue.
Important: Errors might occur when updating version 8.0.0 products to version 8.0.4 or earlier after installing this fix
- In IBM Installation Manager, click Uninstall and remove the fix labelled PM53336. After removing this fix the update of your product will proceed successfully.
- Reinstall PM53336 on your updated product.
If you install this fix on a version 8.0.0 product, then if you update to a later version you might see an error message in Installation Manager that is similar to the following example:
Error during "complete" phase:
CRIMA1082E: The bundle "com.ibm.support.feedback.ui_1.1.2.v20110330_1815" cannot be installed in this Eclipse configuration because it is not equivalent to the bundle "com.ibm.support.feedback.ui_1.0.1.v20111201_1429" that is already installed.
To resolve the error:
Installation Instructions using the compressed download file
- Download the fix file from Fix Central by following the appropriate link listed in the Local fix section above.
- Extract the compressed file in an appropriate directory. For example, choose to extract to C:\temp\update
- Add the fix pack's repository location in IBM Installation Manager:
- Start IBM Installation Manager.
- On the Start page of Installation Manager, click File > Preferences, and then click Repositories. The Repositories page opens.
- On the Repositories page, click Add Repository.
- In the Add repository window, browse to or enter the file path to the directory containing the repository.xml file where the compressed file was extracted and then click OK; For example, enter C:\temp\update\.
- Click OK to close the Preference page.
- Install the fix pack as described in the section "Installation Instructions using Installation Manager" starting at step 2.
|Software Development||Rational Application Developer Standard Edition for WebSphere Software||Windows, Linux||8.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4|