Setting up an additional IBM® Notes® client to connect to the IBM SmartCloud™ Notes® service when you do not have a local ID file
A user previously set up a Notes client to connect to the service in a hybrid environment. The user now wants to set up a new Notes client but the user does not have a local copy of the Notes ID file. In a hybrid environment, a local copy of the ID file is required to run the Notes client configuration tool to connect the Notes client to the service.
Resolving the problem
This document describes how to set up an additional Notes client to connect to the service when a local copy of the user ID file is not available. For example, you can use this procedure if the computer on which Notes was originally installed fails and you no longer have local access to the ID file.
This procedure retrieves the ID file from the IBM SmartCloud Notes ID vault. This procedure cannot be used the first time a user configures a Notes client to connect to the service because in that case the ID file has not yet been uploaded to the SmartCloud Notes ID vault.
1. Verify that the user ID is in the vault. From SmartCloud Notes Administration, click Users, search for the user, and open the user page. Verify that the Notes ID file field shows "Available in ID Vault."
2. Reset the password for the Notes ID as described in Resetting passwords for Notes IDs.
- Install Notes.
- Start Notes to begin setup and perform the following steps:
- In the Welcome window, click Next.
- In the User Information window, enter the field values described in the following table, then click Next.
Field Value Your name User's hierarchical name, for example, Samantha Daryn/Renovations. Domino server Hierarchical name of user's SmartCloud Notes mail server, for example, Mail4/SCN/Renovations.
Tip: To determine the user's cloud mail server, from another client, click the To field in a new email, find the user's name in the Company Directory and then show the details about the user. Alternatively, an administrator can look at the user's page in SmartCloud Notes Administration.
I want to connect to a Domino server Select.
- In the Domino Server Network Information window, enter the field values described in the following table, then click Next.
Field Value Domino server name Hierarchical name of user's SmartCloud Notes mail server, for example, Mail4/SCN/Renovations.
This will be shown automatically.
Select a network type TCP/IP Server address One of the following host names, depending on the data center your company uses:
- Click Finish to complete setup and start Notes.
- When prompted, provide the Notes password. After you provide the password, a copy of the ID file is downloaded from the service Notes ID vault to the client. Note: If you see the error "ID in vault has download count of zero," you must reset the user's Notes password, as described in Step 1, and then repeat this procedure.
- Complete the procedure Setting up Notes to connect to a mail server in the user documentation.
More support for:
IBM SmartCloud Notes
Software version: Not Applicable
Operating system(s): Linux, OS X, Windows
Reference #: 1572382
Modified date: 21 November 2011