If the Traveler server is experiencing a high CPU, a slow response situation for an extended time, or synchronization stops completely, please review the following steps that should resolve this behavior.
Resolving the problem
Due to vast improvements in the handling of database queries in Notes Traveler 8.5.3 Upgrade Pack 1, it is strongly advised that customers upgrade to this release as soon as possible to avoid any potential high CPU and performance related issues. This release has shown database call improvements of 20-30% over previous releases. The following APARs were implemented in 22.214.171.124 Interim Fixpack 1 and improves performance for the 8.5.3.x code stream. These very same fixes are also included in 8.5.3 Upgrade Pack 1, in addition to the extensive code revisions for the database query improvements.
|Large number of users not receiving mail for extended period of time.|
|Filter contacts adds when they are not new contacts|
|High Processing occur during first PS of the day|
|Missing Calendar entries on first synch|
Although the fix descriptions may not be apparent to resolving these types of problems, they do correct symptoms that may be experienced such as:
- High CPU on the Traveler Server
- Users receiving mail very slowly and the traveler service appears to not respond
- Users not receiving mail at all or synchronization completely stops for all users
IBM advises that you upgrade to 8.5.3 Upgrade Pack 1 prior to experiencing any of these issues to prevent unwanted downtime and service interruption to perform an unplanned upgrade to resolve the high CPU/performance issues. If unable to immediately move to 8.5.3 Upgrade Pack 1, it would be advised to at least upgrade to 126.96.36.199 Interim Fix 1, which also contains some of these performance improvements.
In addition to the applying Notes Traveler 8.5.3 Upgrade Pack 1, it is imperative that the following steps are reviewed to ensure the server's health:
1) Properly size your Traveler server for the number of devices and ensure that it is tuned correctly by following the Capacity Planning Guidelines.
2) Verify the number of HTTP threads based on the number of devices using the Traveler server.
3) Run a Traveler database defrag which will clean up and reduce the database size. This will run automatically after installing the latest Traveler fix pack. It is highly recommended to run defrag at least monthly.
4) The following recommendation only applies if running Traveler 8.5.2.x. The fix is already included by upgrading to the 8.5.3x code stream of Traveler & Domino.
There is a known Domino Server issue related to the DelayQueue function. This is documented in SPR RSSN8HPLKX / APAR LO63480.
To identify this problem (on Traveler 188.8.131.52), issue the cmd: show stat traveler.delay*
If the output displays the following 2 lines, then this defect has been encountered:
The Domino fix for this issue is included in Domino 184.108.40.206 or later and is already included in Domino Server 8.5.3 and higher releases.
Gathering the logs to submit for a PMR
In the event that the high CPU/performance issues persist after implementing the recommendations above, please collect the following information for problem investigation.
1. Create a system dump by issuing the following command at the Traveler server's console:
Tell Traveler SystemDump
2. Wait 15 minutes
3. Tell Traveler PMR <PMR #>
The command will FTP the logs directly to the PMR for analysis. In the event that FTP is not possible in your environment, follow these steps to upload the logs manually:
After issuing the " Tell Traveler PMR <PMR #>" command, a zip file will then be created and can be found in the following directory:
Upload the zip file that was created to the PMR via https://www.ecurep.ibm.com/app/upload .
Opening a Problem Management Report (PMR) and/or submitting documentation to IBM Please see the following document.
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.