New features in ClearQuest and ClearQuest MultiSite 8.0
This document contains a list of new features in IBM Rational ClearQuest 8.0.
What's new in IBM Rational ClearQuest 8.0
Ease of Administration
ClearQuest 8.0 comes with enhancements that ease administration:
- Full Text Search Admin Tool: Use the IBM® Rational® ClearQuest® Full-Text Search Administrator tool in ClearQuest version 8.0 to set up, configure, and administer the full-text search feature. This tool is included in the product as of ClearQuest version 8.0.
- ClearQuest ALM: The Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) packages provide a solution for ensuring ALM best practices in existing Rational ClearQuest change management systems. Application Lifecycle Management enables development teams to streamline the process of producing a software release.
- Users can manage and configure their WebSphere Application Server and IBM HTTP Server environments independent of the ClearQuest environment
- Flexible ClearQuest-enabled/ClearCase Unified Change Management integration
Full Text Search
Use the IBM Rational ClearQuest Full-Text Search Administrator tool in ClearQuest version 8.0 to set up, configure, and administer the full-text search feature. This tool is included in the product as of ClearQuest version 8.0.
This tool replaces existing full-text search tools such as cqtssetup.pl and cqtsdbcrawler.pl, which are included in ClearQuest 7.1.x. The tool hides the complexity and low-level details of setting up, configuring, and administering full-text search.
Use the Rational ClearQuest Full-Text Search Administrator tool to run a set of command-line options from the server where the full-text search feature is installed.
The Rational ClearQuest Full-Text Search Administrator tool is available in the following languages: English, Brazilian, Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Simplified-Chinese, Traditional-Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
ClearQuest ALM 1.3
The Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) packages provide a solution for ensuring ALM best practices in existing Rational ClearQuest change management systems. Application Lifecycle Management enables streamlining a team’s ability to produce a software release. It involves the coordination of software development activities and assets to produce and manage software applications throughout their life cycles.
The ClearQuest ALMWork package builds on the ALMProject package. These packages comprise a collection of tightly integrated record types that create a foundation for managing software or other kinds of development projects.
The ClearQuest Attachments 2.1 package provides external storage of ClearQuest attachments in off-site locations, such as FTP servers. This release is certified and supported for ClearQuest ALM schema, any other schema, and supports stateless record-type. ClearQuest Attachments 2.1 augments the existing attachment solutions provided by the ClearQuest Attachments 1.0 solution.
The ClearQuest EmailPlus 2.1 package provides enhanced email notification functionality to ClearQuest users. This release is certified and supported for ClearQuest ALM schema, any other schema, and supports stateless record-type. EmailPlus 2.1 augments the existing email notification solutions provided by the ClearQuest Email 1.0 package.
Highlights of the ALM 1.3 package include:
- Improved usability by leveraging CQ pop-up form support to reduce user mouse-clicks
- Pre-population of some fields for workflow automation
Highlights of the EmailPlus 2.1 package include:
- Support for rich text, form layout and rich rules on email notifications from ClearQuest
- Addresses over 60 customer RFEs
- Enable package to be applied on any schema
Highlights of the Attachments 2.1 package include:
- Store ClearQuest attachments on a remote FTP site
- Control the file size of attachments
- Enable package to be applied on any schema
Additional information can be found at: https://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24028637
Rational ClearQuest provides a flexible reporting solution to design and test reports with Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) or Crystal Reports reporting tools configured with the ClearQuest Reporting Driver. Users can share ClearQuest reports with the Report Launcher for ClearQuest or access reports from Rational Team Concert™ to facilitate agile planning.
Crystal Reports Migration Tool – A utility to help migrate your Crystal Reports data-push reports to data-pull reports, which are recommended in ClearQuest 7.1 and later.
Report Exporter – The IBM Rational ClearQuest Report Exporter is a command line tool used to migrate report files from the Report Server for ClearQuest repository and save the files to a local file system.
ClearQuest Java 6
Java applications that use CMAPI must run using Java 6 Java Runtime Environment (JRE). ClearQuest performance is improved due to this upgrade in Java.
Independently install & update WAS 7 and IHS 7
Users can manage and configure their WebSphere Application Server and IBM HTTP Server environments independent of the ClearQuest environment.
- Recommended fixpacks for WebSphere Application Server and IBM HTTP Server can be applied without upgrading ClearQuest.
- Customers can deploy ClearQuest Web in WAS profiles which run as a user other than root. This addresses security concerns related to ClearQuest Web running as “root” on UNIX/Linux servers.
- Customers can deploy ClearQuest Web along with other applications such as ClearCase CCRC WAN Server in the same WAS profile on servers with low scalability requirements.
- Footprint of a ClearQuest installation and size of a ClearQuest repository download is reduced significantly.
- Upgrade of ClearQuest is light weight in size and provides faster upgrade time
Flexible ClearQuest-Enabled ClearCase Unified Change Management integration
The ClearCase Unified Change Management – ClearQuest integration has been re-implemented using the Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration (OSLC) interface, leading to two deployment enhancements.
- A ClearCase client on a Local Area Network no longer needs to include a ClearQuest client to support the ClearCase Unified Change Management – ClearQuest integration.
- In a Wide Area Network installation, the ClearQuest Web Server and ClearCase CCRC WAN Servers may be installed on different physical machines, allowing a truly centralized installation of ClearQuest while continuing to support the ClearCase Unified Change Management – ClearQuest integration.
Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM)
You can use Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) integrations with products based on Jazz technology, including IBM Rational Team Concert, IBM Rational Quality Manager, and IBM Rational Requirements Composer, to connect the work of all team members. Collaborative Lifecycle Management integrations with Rational ClearQuest Web are also referred to as the Rational ClearQuest Bridge.
Collaborative Lifecycle Management integrations provide a common approach to artifact linking, dashboards, security, and user interface frameworks. Cross-product links support traceability, web-like navigation, commenting, and status tracking across project repositories.
Collaborative Lifecycle Management integrations provide the following capabilities:
- Link to existing artifacts across repositories in integrated products; for example, ClearQuest records are linked to work items, test cases, and requirements.
- Hover over links to quickly check that status of associated work; for example testers can monitor the status of a defect that they reported to the development team.
- Add a widget to a dashboard to report query results or display ClearQuest charts.
- ClearQuest 8.0 is a Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration Change Management (OSLC-CM) 2.0 provider and an OSLC-CM 1.0 consumer.
ClearQuest Charts on RTC dashboards
ClearQuest 8.0 provides out-of-the-box charting widgets that can be added to any Jazz dashboard starting with Jazz Team Server 3.0.1. These charts also provide similar functionality to other Jazz charting widgets such as drill-down.
WebSphere Application Server 7
ClearCase, ClearQuest and Jazz servers are WebSphere Application Server (WAS) applications. All three products support WAS 7 supporting common WAS 7 based flexible deployment on the same server or independent servers. Each web server application may be deployed in its own WAS profile or combined with other applications in a common profile. Configuration is based on customer requirement, usage model, and scalability requirements.
Beginning with version 220.127.116.11, ClearQuest now provides the option to retrieve help content from the web dynamically. This capability enables you to always have the latest content that is available from within your product. For customers with Internet restrictions, help content can be served by an intranet server. You can also install the help content locally on your computer.
ClearQuest Web Performance
IBM Rational ClearQuest Web version 18.104.22.168 offers significant single-user performance improvements. We compared the response times between Rational ClearQuest Web version 7.1.2 and Rational ClearQuest Web version 8.0. The test schema was the ClearQuest ALM schema populated with approximately 350,000 records. Most all measured transactions are faster in the ClearQuest Web version 8.0 release compared to the ClearQuest Web version 7.1.2 release. The average transaction response time improvement for these measured transactions averages 20%.
Final IBM Rational ClearQuest Web version 8.0 performance data will be published in the ClearQuest 8.0 Release Report found here:
More support for:
Software version: 8.0
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Software edition: Multisite
Reference #: 1566887
Modified date: 20 March 2014
Translate this page: