Collect troubleshooting data for installation or upgrade problems with IBM Business Process Manager (BPM) products
You are having an installation or upgrade problem with the IBM Business Process Manager products. You would like to know what documentation you must collect (MustGather) so that the IBM Business Process Manager Support team can diagnose your problem. If you gather this documentation before contacting support it will expedite the troubleshooting process, and save you time.
Resolving the problem
Search IBM Electronic Support resources
- Search IBM Support Portal Install task documents at the following locations:
- Use IBM Support Assistant Problem Determination tools to search for a solution.
- Search IBM developerWorks - IBM Business Process Manager on problem resolutions
If the solution cannot be found, use the following information to collect the MustGather data for the IBM Support Team.
Collect MustGather data for IBM Support
Collect general information for all installation and upgrade problems
- Provide a problem description
Provide IBM Support Team the detailed steps of commands or procedures that you have followed before encountered the problem, including detailed symptom, error messages, and any other related background information.
- Run the versionInfo command and provide the output
- For IBM Business Process Manager V7.5, run the command from install_root/bin
versionInfo -maintenancePackages > versioninfo.txt
- For IBM Business Process Manager V8.0, V8.0.1, and V8.5, run the command from install_root/bin
versionInfo -fixpacks -ifixes > versioninfo.txt
Compress all files from the install_root/logs directory. For more information, see Where to find product and profile installation directories.
Compress all files from the deployment_manager_ profile_root/properties/service/productDir directory.
Where to find the product and profile installation directories
You can set the product install_root value during the installation process. The following links provide you with the default directories for different types of installations:
IBM Business Process Manager V7.5.X - Installation directories for product and profiles
IBM Business Process Manager V8.0.X - Installation directories for product and profiles
IBM Business Process Manager V8.5.X - Installation directories for product and profiles
Collect data for Launchpad interface problems
If you encounter problem from Launchpad installation, collect the following data and information:
- Provide the detailed commands and steps that you have taken before the problem happened.
- If there is any error message on the LaunchPad user interface, capture a screen shot.
- Collect all of the IBM_LaunchPad_* log files from the [Temp_Dir]:
On Windows systems, these files can be in the
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\1\IBM_LaunchPad_* or
For Linux or AIX systems, these files can be in the /tmp/IBM_LaunchPad_* directory.
Hint: You can skip using LaunchPad and start the Installation Manager to proceed with the custom installation. For more information, see How to launch Installation Manager directly
Collect data for Installation Manager installation or upgrade problems
- Save the Installation Manager screen when the problem occurred if you used the Installation Manager GUI.
- If the problem involves Installation Manager silent install, provide the complete command that you used and the customized response file.
- Collect the Installation Manager Agent Agent data. Compress the data and send all files from the IM Agent Data directory. For more information, see Where to find product and profile installation directories.
- (Optional) Enable Installation Manager trace when it is requested by IBM Support. For more information, see How to enable Installation Manager trace..
Default Installation Agent Data location
The Installation Manager data directory contains log files and the repository that tracks installed products. The exact location of this data depends on whether you have installed Installation Manager as a root user (administrative user) or as a non-root user (non-administrative user). If you are in doubt, check both locations as indicated in the following table.
The following table indicates the default directory that contains the Installation Manager data.
|Platform||Installation Type||Default Data Location|
|administrator||C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\
|non-administrator||C:\Documents and Settings\
How to enable Installation Manager trace (optional)
Enable Installation Manager trace only if IBM Support requests that you collect the trace for deeper analysis. To enable this trace, complete the following steps:
- Navigate to the IM_DATA/logs directory and create a file named log.properties
- Copy the following data into the log.properties file:
If the Installation Manager is already running, it must be restarted for the trace to take effect.
- Repeat the failing operation and send the Installation Manger Data directory .
After collecting the trace you can disable it by commenting out the previously listed lines in the log.properties file.
Collect database upgrade log files
If you encounter a failure during the database upgrade process, compress and send the following directories:
- Provide the database scripts that are generated under the profile_root/dbscripts directory.
- For an IBM Business Process Manager V7.5.0 to V7.5.1 upgrade, collect the BPMGenerateUpgradeSchemaScripts log files, which are saved under the profile_root/upgrade directory .
- Collect the upgrade_7x script log files:
- For IBM Business Process Manager V7.5.0: install_root/BPM/Lombardi/tools/upgrade/upgrade_7x/logs
- For IBM Business Process Manager 7.5.1 and later:
Other troubleshooting hints and tips
- Review the following installing and configuring roadmaps if you are not familiar with the IBM Business Process Manager installation process
- For problem with starting the Launchpad or Installation Manger, review the documentation for the following releases:
IBM Business Process Manager V7.5.x -
Preparing operating systems for product installation
IBM Business Process Manager V8.0.1 - Preparing operating systems for product installation
IBM Business Process Manager V8.5.0 - Preparing operating systems for product installation
- Review the log files and dumps that are generated at the point of failure.
Exchanging data with IBM Support
See Exchanging information with IBM Technical Support for FTP and email instructions using the IBM Enhanced Customer Data Repository (ECuRep).
- Go to the Service Request page to open or update a problem. If you have a SoftwareXcel enterprise edition for zSeries contract, you can also ask non-defect installation and usage questions.
Note: Always update your Service Request (problem record) to indicate that data has been sent.
Knowledge Collection: Installation and configuration
IBM Business Process Manager Standard - Support portal
IBM Business Process Manager Advanced - Support Portal
IBM Business Process Manager Express - Support portal
V7.5 - Cluster Creation tutorial
|Business Integration||IBM Business Process Manager Standard||Installation / Configuration||AIX, Linux, Solaris, Windows||8.5, 8.0.1, 8.0, 7.5.1, 7.5|
|Business Integration||IBM Business Process Manager Express||Installation / Configuration||Linux, Windows||8.5, 8.0.1, 8.0, 7.5.1, 7.5|
More support for:
IBM Business Process Manager Advanced
Installation / Configuration
Software version: 7.5, 7.5.1, 8.0, 8.0.1, 8.5
Operating system(s): AIX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1506937
Modified date: 20 March 2014